Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 1st 2014 new
(quote) John-132457 said: I try to respond to every message. But, I don't feel responsible to respond to an empty emotigram.
I take the view that a "smile" or empty emotigram is giving a message "I cannot be bothered to spend a few minutes writing a few sentences to you." and amounts to very little. It is like walking past someone who smiles at you so I personally see no need to respond at all. When someone actually spends time and effort to write to you and you ignore that message, that is not a great example of good manners.

If you are too busy to respond to an email you are perhaps too busy to have an active profile on CM? Just because you don't like what you see in someone's profile does not make exercising good manners null and void.

Jan 1st 2014 new
(quote) Gabor-19025 said: I take the view that a "smile" or empty emotigram is giving a message "I cannot be bothered to spend a few minutes writing a few sentences to you." and amounts to very little. It is like walking past someone who smiles at you so I personally see no need to respond at all. When someone actually spends time and effort to write to you and you ignore that message, that is not a great example of good manners.

If you are too busy to respond to an email you are perhaps too busy to have an active profile on CM? Just because you don't like what you see in someone's profile does not make exercising good manners null and void.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind an empty emotigram. Just like a passing smile in the hallway, it might get my attention. But, it might not.
Jan 1st 2014 new
(quote) Cara-862490 said:

I'm w/you Sharon! I know the disappointment of getting nothing more than a "profile view" after having had put myself out there w/an emote or a message. Although, that w/in itself speaks volumes!

"I looked your profile over and found you not to my liking. No response for you!"

Still, I'm sure we're better off. ;)

Hello Cara,

So true to what you said...and I quote:

"I looked your profile over and found you not to my liking. No response for you!"

I was thinking, if you click on a profile, generally it's because a photo draws you to do so, right? Then you read over their profile. I like what another person said, her name is susan, you have catalog shoppers, then you have people who looks to see if you answered yes or no to the premarital sex question, if your response isn't to their liking, they move on. I guess we are BETTER off as you mentioned.

blessings Cara for a wonderful new year,

Sharon

Jan 1st 2014 new
(quote) Gabor-19025 said: I take the view that a "smile" or empty emotigram is giving a message "I cannot be bothered to spend a few minutes writing a few sentences to you." and amounts to very little. It is like walking past someone who smiles at you so I personally see no need to respond at all. When someone actually spends time and effort to write to you and you ignore that message, that is not a great example of good manners.

Hello Gabor,

I like what you had to say, "if your too busy to respond to an email, you are perhaps too busy to have an active profile on CM?"

Hats off to you Gabor! well said!!!!!! yeehaw, LOL

blessings for a great new year,
Sharon
Jan 1st 2014 new
(quote) John-132457 said: Don't get me wrong, I don't mind an empty emotigram. Just like a passing smile in the hallway, it might get my attention. But, it might not.
Hello John,

quick response to yours, true what you said, however, the difference in getting on line trying to meet people is entirely a different motive then passing someone on the street.

Generally, if a person is saying hello, it's saying that they find an interest in you wether it's a photo or photos or something they may have read on your profile that intrigued them. So being on line, I feel that it is only out of respect that ( A) tell them to go jump in a lake. (B) typing requires too much finger exercise (C) I never took typing, sorry
(D) I don't own a computer (hahaha) (E) your way too young or wow, you look like a nice vintage.....LOL

joking aside, it's just plain common decency.

blessings,
sharon
Jan 8th 2014 new
I always respond with either a message or an emotigram. It is proper and respectful.
Jan 8th 2014 new
(quote) Michael-1041054 said: I always respond with either a message or an emotigram. It is proper and respectful.
Hello Micheal,

well let me say that your one of many few men who do and I respect that in you!!! I know this is kind of off the subject to a certain degree, but here's my take on it. If you have had the opportunity to watch the x-factor, charlotte and johnathon, wow, amazing duo. Anyway, most people would have judged johnathon based on his size as he has stated in his interview that he always had a tough time with people making crude remarks etc. What I found interesting is, once you watch them, listen to their life story coupled with the interview, he is a remarkeable loving individual. Sometimes I sense people don't respond to either an emotigram possibly based on attraction, or that they find your a person who believes in all the teachings, or some who may not even read profiles, etc.

I find it rather sad that people don't have enough respect to at least answer in some form, even though it may not be something the other party may want to hear, but at least it's a response done in a respectful manner.

With that being said, have a blessed 2014 new year,
Sharon
Jan 11th 2014 new
I believe it is proper to reply every email/emotigram. It does not necessarily mean one is declaring interest until it is explicitly stated. What do you lose when you smile back at one who is walking down the street and smiles at you? What do you lose when one says "Good morning" to you? Must the person know you to bless your day with such kind words? What do you lose if one walks up to you and says more than "Good morning"? Can one not chat with you? When you answer this honestly then relate to this community where one smiling at you is an emotigram. Or saying "Good morning" or chatting is like an email. This shouldn't be so complicated as individuals make it. It's all good... Onome Sunshine
Jan 11th 2014 new
(quote) Onome-119770 said: I believe it is proper to reply every email/emotigram. It does not necessarily mean one is declaring interest until it is explicitly stated. What do you lose when you smile back at one who is walking down the street and smiles at you? What do you lose when one says "Good morning" to you? Must the person know you to bless your day with such kind words? What do you lose if one walks up to you and says more than "Good morning"? Can one not chat with you? When you answer this honestly then relate to this community where one smiling at you is an emotigram. Or saying "Good morning" or chatting is like an email. This shouldn't be so complicated as individuals make it. It's all good... Onome Sunshine
Hello Onome,

I absolutely enjoyed reading your response and it was very refreshing to hear such positive thoughts coming from your heart! It's so true what you said, if we say good morning to someone at the check-out or in the street, does that mean we're interested? No, as you mentioned your being kind, respectful and blessing their day. I enjoy like minded people as yourself with such good attitudes and great sportsmanship to the on-line dating sites.

Please pray for me Onome, and I will pray for you before submitting this post!

blessings,
Sharon theheart
Jan 11th 2014 new
Hello Sharon, In one of the many languages I speak (Yoruba), there is an adage that states "Ki Olorun ko wa mo". That is "May God teach us to know right". It is my prayer for you, me and all I encounter in this life I live. :-)
Posts 11 - 20 of 80