Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Steven-706921 said: Especially since my local church has an electronic organ.

Nice one too.
What? An electronic organ. A new heresy at hand! faint
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: You have to understand Kate that there are people who believe that anything new at all is heretical.

If they had been around when electric lighting and loud speaker systems were first introduced into our Churches, they would have condemned that as heresy as well.
And then there are those who are just as reactionary in the opposite direction.

Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: And then there are those who are just as reactionary in the opposite direction.

I am just figuring that out wink my Dad nearly fainted when I told him I had googled TLM and found one in the area which I want to attend next Sunday to see what it's like.
To be honest: I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Latin Mass one could attend regularly (apart from huge media outcry following the 2009 interview with Williamson of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X which made the TLM sound like an exclusive club) so joining CM has been a huge learning experience in that regard smile

Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Kate-913075 said: I am just figuring that out my Dad nearly fainted when I told him I had googled TLM and found one in the area which I want to attend next Sunday to see what it's like.
To be honest: I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Latin Mass one could attend regularly (apart from huge media outcry following the 2009 interview with Williamson of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X which made the TLM sound like an exclusive club) so joining CM has been a huge learning experience in that regard

Sorry, that should read
"(apart from the huge media outcry following the 2009 interview with Williamson of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X which made the TLM sound like an exclusive club it's not really mentioned over here)"
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Kate-913075 said: I am just figuring that out my Dad nearly fainted when I told him I had googled TLM and found one in the area which I want to attend next Sunday to see what it's like.
To be honest: I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Latin Mass one could attend regularly (apart from huge media outcry following the 2009 interview with Williamson of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X which made the TLM sound like an exclusive club) so joining CM has been a huge learning experience in that regard

Remember, the Novus Ordo is a Latin Mass. The Church allows the vernacular but the official language of the Mass and the Church is Latin.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Remember, the Novus Ordo is a Latin Mass. The Church allows the vernacular but the official language of the Mass and the Church is Latin.
That's what I'm trying to say - I had never even heard the word Novus Ordo or TLM before. I thought that Mass was held only in the native language of the country - apart from those celebrated by the Pope. Considering that Theology was one of my subjects at university (even if it was combined with teacher training and as such very much condensed) I am astonished that no mention was ever made of either Novus Ordo or TLM. Maybe that's the concern the writer of the article wanted to express - that there does not seem to be a strong voice for traditional Catholics over here in Germany. However, I still can't agree with the way set about to do so irked And seeing that I did a Catholic Certificate for Teaching in Faith Schools in the UK and never heard about it there either shows that it is not a uniquely German "trend".

But thanks for the reminder about the Novus Ordo. Now that I am at least aware of the differences (thanks to google, youtube and the forum) I made sure to look for a Latin Mass in the Extraordinary Form as it is called over here. I'll try to attend the Novus Ordo if I can find one, too, so I can actually compare smile
Don't get me wrong - I like our normal Sunday Mass and our Priest's sermons are usually fantastic, but I sometimes feel as if something is missing. Maybe I'll find it in the TLM... and yes, you can find the TLM over here so maybe the author was not looking hard enough to find different examples of "traditional" Catholic life in everyday Germany scratchchin
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Kate-913075 said: That's what I'm trying to say - I had never even heard the word Novus Ordo or TLM before. I thought that Mass was held only in the native language of the country - apart from those celebrated by the Pope. Considering that Theology was one of my subjects at university (even if it was combined with teacher training and as such very much condensed) I am astonished that no mention was ever made of either Novus Ordo or TLM. Maybe that's the concern the writer of the article wanted to express - that there does not seem to be a strong voice for traditional Catholics over here in Germany. However, I still can't agree with the way set about to do so And seeing that I did a Catholic Certificate for Teaching in Faith Schools in the UK and never heard about it there either shows that it is not a uniquely German "trend".

But thanks for the reminder about the Novus Ordo. Now that I am at least aware of the differences (thanks to google, youtube and the forum) I made sure to look for a Latin Mass in the Extraordinary Form as it is called over here. I'll try to attend the Novus Ordo if I can find one, too, so I can actually compare
Don't get me wrong - I like our normal Sunday Mass and our Priest's sermons are usually fantastic, but I sometimes feel as if something is missing. Maybe I'll find it in the TLM... and yes, you can find the TLM over here so maybe the author was not looking hard enough to find different examples of "traditional" Catholic life in everyday Germany
If you are attending Mass which is not celebrated with the Priest facing away from the people with most of the prayers said privately by the Priest and what relatively few response come from someone other than the priest, and everything but the reading of the Gospel at a high mass is all in latin, then you are attending the Novus Ordo or the the Ordinary from of the Mass.

The Mass referred to as the TLM is the pre-Vatican II Tridentine Mass, now known as the Extraordinary from of the Mass.

THat is, unless you normally attend Mass at one of the Eastern Catholic Rites.
Jan 12th 2014 new
Well, straw men get made up because they're so easy for people to knock down, you understand. mischievous
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: You have to understand Kate that there are people who believe that anything new at all is heretical.

If they had been around when electric lighting and loud speaker systems were first introduced into our Churches, they would have condemned that as heresy as well.
I sometimes think that the man who invented the wireless microphone should at least get extra time in purgatory.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-290721 said: I sometimes think that the man who invented the wireless microphone should at least get extra time in purgatory.
Well, even the electric guitar can have it's place in the Church.

That would be the auditorium of the parish hall. Zydeco, for instance, is often played in church halls in Houston, at least according to an NPR story I heard on the radio.

en.wikipedia.org

Now electronic drums, well, that's another story altogether.

Posts 11 - 20 of 23