Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Jerry, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who sometimes messes up the job of proofreading what I wrote. The results are sometimes hilarious, as per your example this time.

So you add your partially cooked pasta to the sauce to fish cooking. Does the fish stir the pot with its tail and what is the suce that the pasta absorbs?

What a typo! laughing laughing laughing

If you consider shrimp fish, often they are cooking in the sauce along with the pasta, and the smaller shrimp can end up inside the campanelle.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: What a typo!

If you consider shrimp fish, often they are cooking in the sauce along with the pasta, and the smaller shrimp can end up inside the campanelle.
laughing I wondered wow, something new to cooking spaghetti?
I am reading this that you are cooking the shrimp in the sauce and with the pasta?
I cook my sauce in a separate pot, and the pasta is cooked separate too. I don't combine them.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: I wondered wow, something new to cooking spaghetti?
I am reading this that you are cooking the shrimp in the sauce and with the pasta?
I cook my sauce in a separate pot, and the pasta is cooked separate too. I don't combine them.
I used to cook the pasta completely in water, drain it, then add it to the sauce and eat. Being a lazy batchelor, I'd make enough for 3-4 days and end up eating most of the leftovers cold.

Now I just add the pasta to the sauce a bit earlier in the process. The shrimp (or chicken, bebison, beef, pork, etc.) is cooking in the sauce before the pasta s added.

Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: I used to cook the pasta completely in water, drain it, then add it to the sauce and eat. Being a lazy batchelor, I'd make enough for 3-4 days and end up eating most of the leftovers cold.

Now I just add the pasta to the sauce a bit earlier in the process. The shrimp (or chicken, bebison, beef, pork, etc.) is cooking in the sauce before the pasta s added.

Oh, I have done that a few in the past, but then the sauce would dry up and I always needed more sauce. So, I keep it separate. I have ate cold too....lazy. But the microwave heats it up fairly fast. I always make enough for a couple days. It's very hard to make just a little.
Sausage is also good to add.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: how many profiles I looked at, and everybody likes and eats Italian food! So, does that mean that every Catholic eats Italian food?
Say yes to Italian food!
Ummm yes Italian. My special dish is manicotti. When I was younger my mom and I would make sauce from scratch. But, when she went back to work we went to Ragu :-). I have a friend in Boston who was going to call me today to walk me through some sauce recipes, but we played phone tag instead, lol. I'd like to try making pasta as well. My father-in-law thought I was Italian instead of Irish because of all the Italian food I would make lol. He would complain and complain about it. But, once a week or so he would call me and ask what I was making, if it was manicotti he would join us for dinner, complaining all the time while he had two or three servings :-).

Did you know that many of the Italian dishes that we love and pay for today, were at one time considered Lenten foods because they were regular to the common folk, like ravioli and tortellini -- usually stuffed with cheese.

My friend from Peru made an awesome manicotti with seafood and cheese and used a white sauce --- a delightful twist :-).

I have been craving spaghetti I will have to try Jerry's hint.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: FLIRT ALERT!!!!!!
lovestruck! that didn't go unnoticed lovestruck!

-my matchmaking list is filling up
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: I wondered wow, something new to cooking spaghetti?
Ah another unintended hilarity.

So you don't combine the pasta and the sauce. Do you eat them separately? If you don't combine them why bother with the sauce?

I realize you mean you do not do as Jerry does, finish cooking the pasta in the sauce.

But your last sentence just makes for a good laugh.

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Ummm yes Italian. My special dish is manicotti. When I was younger my mom and I would make sauce from scratch. But, when she went back to work we went to Ragu :-). I have a friend in Boston who was going to call me today to walk me through some sauce recipes, but we played phone tag instead, lol. I'd like to try making pasta as well. My father-in-law thought I was Italian instead of Irish because of all the Italian food I would make lol. He would complain and complain about it. But, once a week or so he would call me and ask what I was making, if it was manicotti he would join us for dinner, complaining all the time while he had two or three servings :-).

Did you know that many of the Italian dishes that we love and pay for today, were at one time considered Lenten foods because they were regular to the common folk, like ravioli and tortellini -- usually stuffed with cheese.

My friend from Peru made an awesome manicotti with seafood and cheese and used a white sauce --- a delightful twist :-).

I have been craving spaghetti I will have to try Jerry's hint.
Your kidding, right? Ragu??????

My Italian mother would turn over in her grave if she thought anyone would mention using Ragu (or Prago or any other prepared sauce in a can or jar) as a substitute for properly made sauce from scratch. In fact she would be sick just hearing that someone used those products for any reason.

Interestingly enough, I am no great fan of pasta and sauces, just had far too much of that growing up. As a kid, it was my job to start the sauce when I got home from school. First had to brown the meat, always a couple of pork chops, a couple of good Italian sausages and a couple of lamb chops or ribs. Mom always used pure lard, not the rendered stuff, but chunks cut off from the pig by the butcher yo brown the meat. There were always a couple of garlic cloves added to the meat as it browned. Then I had to add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and water, leaving that on low heat until Mom got home.

Despite all that practice, when I make sauce today, I have to extra careful not to burn the sauce as it simmers.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Ah another unintended hilarity.

So you don't combine the pasta and the sauce. Do you eat them separately? If you don't combine them why bother with the sauce?

I realize you mean you do not do as Jerry does, finish cooking the pasta in the sauce.

But your last sentence just makes for a good laugh.

Thanks for starting my day with a laugh.
laughing Of course I eat it together, you put the pasta noodles on the plate and then you put sauce over it. Some put the spaghetti in with the sauce and stir it around.

I must say Jerry's was much better with fish cooking it??? laughing
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) George-80266 said: Hello Rachel, sounds like a wonderful plan you have!
George, DO NOT pass Rachel's suggestion up!
Posts 21 - 30 of 97