Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said: But there's Italian food, and there's Italian-American food.

I think when most of us say we like Italian food, we really mean Italian-American food.

I have had pizza in Rome, for example, but that couldn't hold a candle to the pizza in New York City.

I have heard this said before. My cousin and her husband went to Italy and they said the spaghetti was terrible. I was surprised to hear this.
Ours is better.
Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: I have heard this said before. My cousin and her husband went to Italy and they said the spaghetti was terrible. I was surprised to hear this.
Ours is better.
The Italian spaghetti was terrible? Or their tastes were distorted by corrupted cuisine?

Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: The Italian spaghetti was terrible? Or their tastes were distorted by corrupted cuisine?

Good question. They were disappointed, and said it wasn't good.
Jan 14th 2014 new
(quote) Megan-21150 said: Gnocchi with marinara, yum yum yum....paired with a nice Valipocella. Yum....
Gnocchi with pesto and seafood on top! Quick and easy and the girls will eat it!
Jan 15th 2014 new

Thanks ya'll for a good laugh. I think we should have a progressive dinner. ... Ah memories : As a new bride (southern gal) of an Italian New Yorker I went to the trouble to try sauce from scratch. It called for removing the tomato seeds. One & only time!... A favorite of ours was pasta with sauce & ricotta, sausage & meatballs, served with steamed fresh spinach cooked in olive oil & garlic. I loved the story of my husband as a kid putting his grandmothers tasty meatballs in his pocket to go sell them.

Jan 15th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said: But there's Italian food, and there's Italian-American food.

I think when most of us say we like Italian food, we really mean Italian-American food.

I have had pizza in Rome, for example, but that couldn't hold a candle to the pizza in New York City.

First off- Chicago deep dish beats NY cardboard any day of the week... unless its a work day and you are on the fly because luch is so short. But second I definately prefer to try authentic (especially if it is homemade by somebody's great-grandma) cuisine of any other culture. We Americans think we make everyone else's stuff better, but we really just make it ours for better or worse.
Jan 15th 2014 new
(quote) Joseph-1047313 said: First off- Chicago deep dish beats NY cardboard any day of the week... unless its a work day and you are on the fly because luch is so short. But second I definately prefer to try authentic (especially if it is homemade by somebody's great-grandma) cuisine of any other culture. We Americans think we make everyone else's stuff better, but we really just make it ours for better or worse.
I have to agree Chicago has some pretty awesome pizza.
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Joseph-1047313 said: First off- Chicago deep dish beats NY cardboard any day of the week... unless its a work day and you are on the fly because luch is so short. But second I definately prefer to try authentic (especially if it is homemade by somebody's great-grandma) cuisine of any other culture. We Americans think we make everyone else's stuff better, but we really just make it ours for better or worse.
Neither Chicago's deep dish nor New York's cardboard (I like that description) are authentic Italian Pizza.

The demands of American tourists in Italy have, unfortunately, introduced so many different abominations there that it is difficult to find real Italian pizzas in the tourist areas.

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Neither Chicago's deep dish nor New York's cardboard (I like that description) are authentic Italian Pizza.

The demands of American tourists in Italy have, unfortunately, introduced so many different abominations there that it is difficult to find real Italian pizzas in the tourist areas.

How does authentic Italian pizza differ from American pizza? I have never had any exposure to authentic Italian food, so I ask this out of curiosity not to challenge...

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: Every Catholic should like Italian food. Why? Because all popes are the earthly representatives of Jesus (which is kind of a big deal as far as job descriptions go) and practically all of them were brought up on Italian cooking. Of the two recent ones who were not Italian, one of them is on record (of sorts) as liking some Italian food. http://tinyurl.com/k2g653w His predecessor doesn't seem to be on any Internet record of sorts as liking Italian food but who cares? Let's just say he did.

And that is why every Catholic should like Italian food.

Or something like that.
I believe that Pope Francis's parents were Italian and then moved to South America.

Ed
Posts 51 - 60 of 97