Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Joseph-1047313 said: First off- Chicago deep dish beats NY cardboard any day of the week... unless its a work day and you are on the fly because luch is so short. But second I definately prefer to try authentic (especially if it is homemade by somebody's great-grandma) cuisine of any other culture. We Americans think we make everyone else's stuff better, but we really just make it ours for better or worse.
Pardon me? faint CARDBOARD NY pizza????? hissyfit
Little Italy,New York's "drooping pizza" that LITERALLY cascades clap down from your hand---and requires two hands to hold???????
YUMMY....sigh......with the absolute thinnest crust laden with oozing cheese---- Chef

BEST!!!! Cardboard is the BOXED FROZEN stuff---icky---but it's fast for my crowd of 10! irked

From a Little Italy BRONX-ite wave Where you CAN get anchovies on your pizza! yesssss!)
Home to :Half Moon Restaurant, DeLillo's Bakery, Mount Carmel Parish, Fordham University) wave

Little Italy, Manhattan--singing waiters with Arias galore and exquisite "scungili"-----AWESOME! --- thumbsup

just saying ....GOOD Food! hyper clap
Jan 16th 2014 new
I understand what you're saying -- I have nephews and nieces who prefer mashed potatoes from the box over home made. wide eyed
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: How does authentic Italian pizza differ from American pizza? I have never had any exposure to authentic Italian food, so I ask this out of curiosity not to challenge...

I was told that original Italian pizza from the "Old Country"...was closed...in other words much like a "calzone"...today...or like our top shell crust for our American fruit "pies"

and then the adaptation was the "open face" concept....and the "to go" "hurry up...hold in the hand... ahem....NEW YORK...okay...scratch NY...the hurry up...rat race...metropolitan style...became

PIZZA as we know it...Interestingly In the "old days" when pizza joints were opening like mad in the city..it used to irritate the First Generation Italians to no end...when customers would as for a "pizza PIE" because you were saying , in effect..."May I have a pie-pie?"

HTH Jerry!
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Barbara-863769 said: I was told that original Italian pizza from the "Old Country"...was closed...in other words much like a "calzone"...today...or like our top shell crust for our American fruit "pies"

and then the adaptation was the "open face" concept....and the "to go" "hurry up...hold in the hand... ahem....NEW YORK...okay...scratch NY...the hurry up...rat race...metropolitan style...became

PIZZA as we know it...Interestingly In the "old days" when pizza joints were opening like mad in the city..it used to irritate the First Generation Italians to no end...when customers would as for a "pizza PIE" because you were saying , in effect..."May I have a pie-pie?"

HTH Jerry!
Thanks, Barbara!

Regarding your closing comment: one Italian bakery in my home town called their pizza "tomato pie"

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: How does authentic Italian pizza differ from American pizza? I have never had any exposure to authentic Italian food, so I ask this out of curiosity not to challenge...

Essentially, there are only two variations of authentic Italian pizza.

First of all the crust is neither thin, like the New York kind nor thick like Chicago Deep Dish.

Then you have either the basic pizza, which is usually labeled Cheese pizza here. The crust has just a marinara sauce with mozzarella cheese on top. Sometimes grated Parmesan cheese is also sprinkled on top.

The alternative is the meat pizza which has the marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese and either sausage or pepperoni on top.

Al the other toppings we can get here are strictly American invented variations.

I don't know if it is still the law in Italy, but at one time what could be called pizza was controlled by law which specified as noted above. This was similar to the wine laws which specify what a specific named variety of wine is. What variety of grapes are used, grown in specific geographic areas, etc

Strictly speaking, the classic pizzas were from the Naples region. Although, all regions had adopted some form.

Related to pizza is Foccocia (sic). The crust is basically the same, just a flat bread, solely topped with olive oil and herbs, possible just a wash of tomato sauce on it. After the crust is rolled out flat and allowed to rise, the fingers are used to make indentations on the top of the crust to hold small pockets of the olive oil. It is not drenched with olive oil.

Chicago deep dish originates with a different dish. Essentially one where pizza dough is used to make a pie which is stuffed with various ingredients of choice. My dad would make an onion pie for example.

I know people like all the various toppings that we see, like the Hawaiian, ugh. But to me, the results are not pizza. On the question of pizza, I am a purist at heart and disdain all these variations.
Jan 16th 2014 new
Thank you, Paul, I love it! To learn the history behind the foods is great!
My three daughters returned from three weeks Rome/Sicily/Greece and they shared withh me their fascinating facts and their detailed photos on the varieties and historical methods of olive oil production. They were shown the process from olive groves to the shop...they each chipped in and brought one "dear" variety bring back to Mom-delicious biggrin
I think a CM Event is scheduled for Rome, no? Hmmmm....Italian food....CM Event..sounds like all here need to hop on that plane...and find out first hand??? laughing laughing

Jan 16th 2014 new
All equally pleasurable ways of clogging an artery, I'm sure~! :)
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: Welcome Paul! How would like your spaghetti, under the rocks or on the rocks?

Oh how do say that ?
I don't know, but spaghetti is one of the very few foods I prefer to eat with no one watching, for obvious reasons.
Thx for the welcome~! It feels good to be here.
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: All equally pleasurable ways of clogging an artery, I'm sure~! :)
so you like them all?? Or you do not wish to say which is your favorite :-)
Jan 16th 2014 new
The proper way to cook pasta is : in a tall or deep saucepan-- bring plenty of fresh water ( it will depend on the amount of pasta you are cooking) to a rolling boil. Salt the water after the boiling point is reached. Add the pasta and stir. Cover the saucepan with a lid and allow it to boil until the pasta reaches the al dente stage (it should still have a slight bite). Timing will depend on the pasta shape and the amount. Before draining the pasta after cooking, hold back enough of the cooking water to finish the dish. THIS is the mistake people make! The water contains the released starch that will be required to bind the sauce to the pasta. Never rinse your cooked pasta and never add olive oil to the cooking water(this will make the pasta surface slippery and therefore the sauce will not bind to the pasta and it will be dry). After you have drained the pasta, add salt, freshly milled black pepper, quality olive oil, the starchy cooking water, and your sauce. No, I am not Italian but I am a professional chef and I cook authentic Italian food from scratch regularly! biggrin
Posts 61 - 70 of 97