Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said: It's a subtle difference to be sure, but it's there.

The abortion rate in the formerly-Protestant countries is substantially higher than the abortion rate in the formerly-Catholic countries. In some cases, it is more than double. http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=GenderStat&f=inID%3A12

(I understand that the information here is up to ten years old in some cases but I couldn't find a site that was objective and which presented all of this information.)

I'm well aware as well, that in most, if not all, of the formerly Catholic countries, holy days of obligation are still public holidays. (Whether or not most people attend Mass on that day is a different story. As I have said, it may be a public holiday out of nothing more than tradition.)

Last May there were demonstrations in France over the issue of "gay marriage." What never got a mention in the MSM here in America were the numbers of French homosexuals who were marching with the conservative groups and protesting the whole idea.

http://c-fam.org/en/issues/human-rights-system/2050-french-homosexuals-join-demonstration-against-ga...

In our lifetimes, I think it is going to become very difficult for Catholics to hold to their beliefs, but I think it is going to be particularly difficult for those of us who live in countries that were never Catholic.

Interesting argument. However, I would say that because abortion was illegal in Catholic Ireland that Irish girls wanting an abortion would just come over to Britain. It doesn't follow that Catholic countries have retained higher standards.

Yes, Holy days are Bank Holidays but religious observance is poor.
Jan 10th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Interesting argument. However, I would say that because abortion was illegal in Catholic Ireland that Irish girls wanting an abortion would just come over to Britain. It doesn't follow that Catholic countries have retained higher standards.

Yes, Holy days are Bank Holidays but religious observance is poor.
> However, I would say that because abortion was illegal in Catholic Ireland that Irish girls wanting an abortion would just come over to Britain.

That's hardly a rebuttal.

I'm referring to the formerly Protestant and Catholic countries worldwide; you're referring to one specific geographic situation that involves two relatively small countries.

> Holy days are Bank Holidays but religious observance is poor.

But the bank holiday is still on a holy day of obligation, and not on one of the secular saints' days like Martin Luther King or George Washington. If I mention the words, "Ascension Thursday" in any of these countries, almost everyone is going to know what that means; that simply isn't the case elsewhere.

Posts 11 - 12 of 12