Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 29th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1040810 said: I've been following this forum for awhile and decided to add a few comments about alcohol. To put them in a moral and legal perspective, our Lord's first acknowledged miracle involved wine that the Blessed Mother asked him to bring forth at a wedding feast. So, by inference, there is nothing immoral about alcohol, making products that contain alcohol or consuming products that contain alcohol. In moderation, consuming alcohol could have some health benefits and there is no doubt that it is a wonderful social lubricant, meaning that it lowers inhibitions and facilitates communication, There is nothing finer than a glass of wine while enjoying supper with a beautiful woman....even if it's roasting hot dogs over an open fire in the middle of a wilderness. There are medical issues, as with every substance in God's creation, but the principle problems with alcohol are that it's consumption can become habit forming and even be addictive. As we all know from observation, when in excess, its consumption can result in people doing all kinds of behaviors that are immoral, illegal and/or detrimental to themselves and society at large. Where we have failed in our society is teaching the proper use of alcohol in moderation and then relying on draconian laws to correct its abuses and make amends to those who have been abused.. The only way I know how to turn this tragedy around is for each individual to prayerfully consider his consumption of alcohol and then become an example of moderation. There will still be car wrecks, deaths, disabilities, divorces and the destruction of families, but that's the price we pay for the gift of free will and living in a free society. Some people simply cannot consume any amount of alcohol, but that's a decision they have to make for themselves and responsible Catholics have always been available to help them come to that conclusion.
Andrew, Sir, you are a very wise man. I agree wholeheartedly with you. You sum it up accurately.

Anyone pointing to Alcohol as just as bad, is clearly a supporter of Cannabis and thus an enemy of our Church & our communities at large.

In my time in Law Enforcement I never met one Heroin addict who hadn't first started with Cannabis before upgrading in search of that all important 'high'.

The more this thread unfolds the more evident it becomes that Cannabis is becoming increasingly more acceptable socially. Our moral decline is almost complete. Very sad!
Jan 29th 2014 new
(quote) Megan-21150 said: Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot. Don't get me wrong - I hate pot and I have relatives that smoke it frequently and it's definitely harmed them. But I'm more worried about alcohol abuse - look at the stats on drunk driving!

I favor legalizing it for medical reasons - it does help with pain management.

Hi,

With alcohol, a little is good for the body so says the scriptures and the Church. You can drink alcohol without getting inebriated thus the soul is in full control.

With pot, one does get inebriated, the body takes over.

For recreational use of marijuana I would think since the Church says we should not be inebriated because of the body deadening the effects of the soul, thus the HS will not dwell in ones body... The HS flees sin... can't dwell and our body is to be a temple for the HS.

Inebriation is the key I believe.... Pot makes one tired and lazy as well, sloth is a sin. I do not see how one can remain sinless and smoke pot. We are to inebriate ourselves with the Lord, to be intoxicated with the Holy Spirit, and there is much that Eucharistic Adoration can do as well as many other devotionals and of course receiving the Holy Eucharist...

When folks go to drugs or excess usage of alcohol they are running from reality and thus they do not give our Lord the chance to help them cope with reality. For one to say it feels good, well, so does having sex but if one is not married though it may feel good, it is not, for sin is never good. It rots and kills the body and soul....

Catholic Answers Live had this question asked to Jimmy Akin, I thought he did very well answering it...

God bless,

Gary

Jan 29th 2014 new
Mark, thanks--we certainly are on the same mental page. The core problem, as I see it, is a world wide rebellion against morality and any agent of moral authority...be it a police officer on the street, the Pope in Rome.or God in his universe. I am well aware of dishonest police officers here in Memphis and immoral Popes in the past...but that is an ongoing problem with The Human Condition and not a strike against the core morality embraced by civil law...or those who honestly embrace and attempt to enforce it. Now let's look deeper. What I'm finding is people who have thoughts about God in their minds--even my beloved atheist friends--but have never experienced God in their hearts and soul. Curiously, they deny it with great negativity while they search for something positive they can affirm and believe in, There are many people with disabling, medically diagnosed, neurological conditions who are using all kinds of substances to ameliorate the symptoms of various mood disorders, and I don't blame them, but I believe many people use psychoactive substances in an attempt to physically feel God in their heart and soul. That was the mantra back in the late 50's, psychedelic 60's and coked-out 70's..... when psychedelic drugs were promoted as mind expanding, consciousness elevating, stepping stones to Nirvana. Drop out, turn on, tune in and you'll find answers to all your questions and solutions for all your problems.That never happened and when the music stopped and the evening 's empires returned to dust, reality returned with a vengeance in the form of cognitive impairment, emotional depravity and spiritual derailment. So when I hear people today promote the recreational use on marijuana, I have to stand up and tell them what time of day it is. Yet, God's still with us and dealing with the issue of evil in his many mansions and I truly believe he wants us to love him so that obeying his Will will become as natural as drinking water to satisfy thirst. I stay out of his way, accept Christ as my Lord in daily affairs and simply follow God as the drama of The Human Condition unfolds. Once I accepted and embraced the teachings of Christ in my mind, the Holy Spirit poured into my heart and soul and allowed me to physically feel the presence of God all around me. Chemicals cannot do that because they impair the mind and fill it with illusions and the feelings that come with the instant gratification drugs can and do provide. Therein lies the explanation for the rebellion against God and moral authority because instant answers and instant solutions--as much as we desire and seek them-- have never existed in the affairs of mankind. Following God is not easy because it requires patience and perseverance in a time of instant messaging and nanosecond calculations, but it will get you through the trials and tribulations in this life and return your spirit to the Holy Spirit when your final day arrives, sans drugs, sans illusions, sans all forms of instant gratification. It requires a leap of faith which I took into the teachings and faith promulgated and perpetuated by the Catholic Church...and I'm still learning. With Pope Francis at the helm, what a ride we're going to have!
Jan 30th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1040810 said: I've been following this forum for awhile and decided to add a few comments about alcohol. To put them in a moral and legal perspective, our Lord's first acknowledged miracle involved wine that the Blessed Mother asked him to bring forth at a wedding feast. So, by inference, there is nothing immoral about alcohol, making products that contain alcohol or consuming products that contain alcohol. In moderation, consuming alcohol could have some health benefits and there is no doubt that it is a wonderful social lubricant, meaning that it lowers inhibitions and facilitates communication, There is nothing finer than a glass of wine while enjoying supper with a beautiful woman....even if it's roasting hot dogs over an open fire in the middle of a wilderness. There are medical issues, as with every substance in God's creation, but the principle problems with alcohol are that it's consumption can become habit forming and even be addictive. As we all know from observation, when in excess, its consumption can result in people doing all kinds of behaviors that are immoral, illegal and/or detrimental to themselves and society at large. Where we have failed in our society is teaching the proper use of alcohol in moderation and then relying on draconian laws to correct its abuses and make amends to those who have been abused.. The only way I know how to turn this tragedy around is for each individual to prayerfully consider his consumption of alcohol and then become an example of moderation. There will still be car wrecks, deaths, disabilities, divorces and the destruction of families, but that's the price we pay for the gift of free will and living in a free society. Some people simply cannot consume any amount of alcohol, but that's a decision they have to make for themselves and responsible Catholics have always been available to help them come to that conclusion.
clap
Feb 10th 2014 new
A recent look at drug use and traffic fatalities : www.philly.com.
Feb 11th 2014 new
CDC lists some drug death facts :
www.cdc.gov

Posts 131 - 136 of 136