Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

They are saying, now that marijuana is not a gateway drug anymore. Drug users don't do

pot, but go directly to cocaine.

I don't know all the facts about any of this but I can say the drugs currently used for pain are often inadequate and there are some who seem to get it from the plant. I am sure the unknown adulterants in street drugs are more dangerous- but the potency of the product sold in Colorado is worrisome as well. I cannot condone recreational drug use, but we have seen what happens when you outlaw it- as was done with alcohol. No perfect answers, other than to keep the medicine cabinet and liquor cabinet locked(only a slight deterrent)
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) John-842063 said: I don't know all the facts about any of this but I can say the drugs currently used for pain are often inadequate and there are some who seem to get it from the plant. I am sure the unknown adulterants in street drugs are more dangerous- but the potency of the product sold in Colorado is worrisome as well. I cannot condone recreational drug use, but we have seen what happens when you outlaw it- as was done with alcohol. No perfect answers, other than to keep the medicine cabinet and liquor cabinet locked(only a slight deterrent)
Oops- some who get pain relief from the cannabis plant.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Megan-21150 said: Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot. Don't get me wrong - I hate pot and I have relatives that smoke it frequently and it's definitely harmed them. But I'm more worried about alcohol abuse - look at the stats on drunk driving!

I favor legalizing it for medical reasons - it does help with pain management.
One of my good friends is dying of liver failure from alcohol, now he smokes marijuana to help him get thru each day. I wonder how his life might have been had he smoked pot every morning instead of a fifth of vodka...
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Megan-21150 said: Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot. Don't get me wrong - I hate pot and I have relatives that smoke it frequently and it's definitely harmed them. But I'm more worried about alcohol abuse - look at the stats on drunk driving!

I favor legalizing it for medical reasons - it does help with pain management.
> Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot.

This isn't controversial, Megan. It's right on the money. Forget about drunk driving for a minute. The connection between alcohol and violent crime, spouse/child abuse, and family break-ups is irrefutable.

I would also argue that if alcohol were discovered today, you would not be able to get buy it without a prescription.


Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: I am surprised to read this news from MSN:

Two Licenses

Licenses for 136 marijuana stores, a majority in Denver, were mailed Dec. 23, the state Revenue Department said in a statement. Recreational marijuana businesses can open only after receiving both a state and local license, said Julie Postlethwait, a spokeswoman for the states Marijuana Enforcement Division.

In Denver, 18 shops received state and local licenses in time to begin selling marijuana Jan. 1, according to the Department of Excise and Licenses. Five marijuana-infused product manufacturers and 27 growers also received licenses.

Colorado residents with a photo identification showing they are at least 21 may buy as much as one ounce of pot in a single transaction, while those from out of state can get a quarter ounce. Customers cant consume the product in public, including at the shops.

Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.


We're living in the world that George Bailey didn't grow up in.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

They are saying, now that marijuana is not a gateway drug anymore. Drug users don't do

pot, but go directly to cocaine.

Hi Marianne,

Now that is an interesting question. How many who try/use pot do not go on to other drugs ? Any reliable stats on that ?
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: I am surprised to read this news from MSN:

Two Licenses

Licenses for 136 marijuana stores, a majority in Denver, were mailed Dec. 23, the state Revenue Department said in a statement. Recreational marijuana businesses can open only after receiving both a state and local license, said Julie Postlethwait, a spokeswoman for the states Marijuana Enforcement Division.

In Denver, 18 shops received state and local licenses in time to begin selling marijuana Jan. 1, according to the Department of Excise and Licenses. Five marijuana-infused product manufacturers and 27 growers also received licenses.

Colorado residents with a photo identification showing they are at least 21 may buy as much as one ounce of pot in a single transaction, while those from out of state can get a quarter ounce. Customers cant consume the product in public, including at the shops.

Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.


I reckon I'll be movin to Colorado, so I can get a Rocky Mountain High...
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Michael-1036103 said: One of my good friends is dying of liver failure from alcohol, now he smokes marijuana to help him get thru each day. I wonder how his life might have been had he smoked pot every morning instead of a fifth of vodka...
Lets see, which is a better choice.

Cirrhosis of the liver or a fried brain followed by lung cancer.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said: > Frankly (and this comment may be controversial), I find alcohol to be far more lethal than pot.

This isn't controversial, Megan. It's right on the money. Forget about drunk driving for a minute. The connection between alcohol and violent crime, spouse/child abuse, and family break-ups is irrefutable.

I would also argue that if alcohol were discovered today, you would not be able to get buy it without a prescription.


Just for clarity.

All the ills referred to about alcohol result from the abuse of it. Moderate use of it has been proven to be beneficial to health. Saying that does not obviate the seriousness of the abuse of it.

Even moderate use of Pot over a long period will cause serious health and mental problems.
Jan 12th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Colorado projects $578.1 million a year in combined wholesale and retail marijuana sales to yield $67 million in tax revenue, according to the Legislative Council of the Colorado General Assembly. Wholesale transactions taxed at 15 percent will finance school construction, while the retail levy of 10 percent will fund regulation of the industry.
States that allowed Lottery in promised the money would go toward schools and education. Turned out mostly to be a big lie.

Posts 21 - 30 of 136