Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: So, Sara, you're in favour of us lowering our standards & moral decline? No
No Mark- I am certainly not in favor of that, but I do believe as Catholics we are inexorably entwined in topics with our secular brothers and sisters. What concerns them concerns us. So, I do not know how you derive: lowering of standards?
I merely am saying: why not discuss the topic of marijuana (or any other unsavory topic) here at CM? I do not find it unfavorable to do so.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Sara-979131 said: No Mark- I am certainly not in favor of that, but I do believe as Catholics we are inexorably entwined in topics with our secular brothers and sisters. What concerns them concerns us. So, I do not know how you derive: lowering of standards?
I merely am saying: why not discuss the topic of marijuana (or any other unsavory topic) here at CM? I do not find it unfavorable to do so.

As Catholics we have certain moral codes of behaviour contrary to the culture. Conceding ground on important moral issues to drug-fuelled secularists just serves to reduce our credibility even further. I am making the case that marijuana not only damages the user's health, but their families and their community at large.

Unlike most drugs administered orally, intravenously, intramuscularly, marijuana is smoked. Like tobacco, smoked marijuana contains many of the same toxic or carcinogenic compounds that have been linked to lung cancer and emphysema. Current findings indicate that the evidence suggests that the marijuana cigarette, in contrast with the tobacco cigarette, delivers over four times the amount of tar and much higher concentration of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, such as the carcinogen benzopyrene.

Marijuana smoked, like tobacco smoked, contains toxins and other foreign particulates that are known to cause inflammation in the lining of the lungs. Unlike tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke substantially reduced the alveolur macrophages, the lungs primary defense against infectious microorganisms, foreign substances and tumor cells. This is of particular concern for the immunocompromised HIV/ AIDS patients or cancer patient, who is already at great risk for opportunistic lung infections. Marijuana smoking may be a factor in the development of acute and chronic bronchitis, and increasing the risk of pneumonia.

Smoking marijuana can cause tachycardia and abrupt changes in blood pressure causing grave concern to those who have cardiovascular disease.

There is scientific evidence that long term marijuana smoking alters the reproductive system.

The argument that alcohol is more damaging is an argument for the prohibition of alcohol or it is an argument for legalising any other substance you can lay your hands on that will give you an equal high!

The research clearly indicates that marijuana is not only addictive (approximately 1 out of 6 youths who smoke marijuana will develop a dependence) but that the dangers of marijuana are, in fact, far more pronounced in young people and leads to crime to finance the habit.

Marijuana is unquestionably a gateway to other, more dangerous drug use and, unsurprisingly, recent studies show regular users of marijuana may suffer a significant and permanent drop in IQ. The other health risks attached to smoked marijuana (e.g. stroke, cancer, psychosis) are suggested by early research but still unknown.

Facts taken from................

THE DANGERS OF LEGALIZING MEDICAL MARIJUANA: A PHYSICIANS PERSPECTIVE

Testimony of Mark L. Kraus, M.D., FASAM* Past President Connecticut Chapter of the American Society of Addiction Medicine. On behalf of the members of the Connecticut Chapter of the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) and the Connecticut State Medical Society I am delighted for this opportunity to voice our strong opposition to the continuing efforts being made in Connecticut to legislate marijuana for medical use.

Jan 13th 2014 new
CCC 2291 - The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offence. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.
Jan 13th 2014 new

It is truly a gateway drug to other, more dangerous drugs. Not that pot by itself is harmless. It destroys brain cells and makes a person passive without ambition beyond the next dose. To say it is like alcohol is not reassuring considering the crimes, car crashes, domestic violence, child molestation related to alcohol. It is medically proven to be beneficial in some patients with severe reactions to chemo or intractable pain but these are only a very small fraction of users. The clinics with their supervising doctors are a joke. They exist for profit. Probably 95 to 99% of users are for recreation only in my opinion and of course there is the almighty dollar involved with huge profits to bemade.

Regardless of what laws might be passed, marijuana and other drugs are not allowed in my home and never will be. Alcohol is in small reasonable amounts for adults only and cigarettes are smoked outside on the deck. I can't change the law but I can make my home a safe place.

Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: CCC 2291 - The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offence. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.
Mark, does the text somehow restrict this so as to exclude alcohol, which is also a drug?

Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Mark, does the text somehow restrict this so as to exclude alcohol, which is also a drug?

Jerry, alcohol is referred to under CCC 2290 - The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkeness or a love of speed, endanger their own and other's safety on the road, at sea or in the air.
Jan 13th 2014 new
The argument that alcohol is more damaging than marijuana is an argument for the prohibition of alcohol or it is an argument for legalising any other substance you can lay your hands on that will give you an equal high to alcohol!
Jan 13th 2014 new
I was taught and believed the governments label of marijuana as "the devils weed" just look at the 1930's movie "Reefer Madness" to see the distortion of its effects. I feel that the overuse of alcohol is far more harmful to society. The true tragedy in this is that research scientists have almost made a critical breakthrough for neurophathic pain and have extracted the element that makes people "high" this could create a safe, non-narcotic pain pill, made from, you guessed it, marijuana.
Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Perhaps, Andrew was expecting Catholics, concerned with morality, to take the higher moral ground rather than 'cave' with the junkie secularists?

Andrew seemed to be talking about pot, not whatever gives junkies a high.

And it is a far cry from talking about pot to becoming a secular junkie.

Jan 13th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1040810 said: I am surprised and disappointed to read this article about the use of marijuana on .CatholicMatch.com. After 50 years of personal observation and consideration of many medical research reports, it is my opinion that the recreational use of marijuana is neither beneficial, healthy nor safe. It is possible that there may be several medical uses for several different chemicals in marijuana. Those medical uses should be determined by medical doctors using medical research and appropriate clinical trials...not public opinion, newspaper journalists or even state legislatures,
> Those medical uses should be determined by medical doctors using medical research and appropriate clinical trials...not public opinion, newspaper journalists or even state legislatures,

Andrew,

I hate to break it to you, but this is America. Be it "gay marriage" or the legalization of marijuana, the inmates have been running the asylum for quite some time now.
Posts 51 - 60 of 136