Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Bernadette-874299 said: ... It's not meant as an insult (usually because timing or emotions aren't right), but women, as well as men can be very sensitive to things of this nature, so I can only guess that she cut off the friendship because she didn't want you believing that there was a possibility of a romantic relationship in the future because she wouldn't be waiting around...
Many times the best things occur when people wait ...
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) David-870960 said: I think, the one's that got away were meant to. If we allow that we were doing our best to let God work in our lives, then those passing acquaintances served His purposes, or He will make it so - for both sides. And as a corollary to the Prodigal Son, if we stray from His Plan, but return penitent, He makes a new Plan.

Remember: Our belief in Sacramental Reconciliation is not consistent with a "Single Chance".
Real love got a second chance in my life. We had gone our separate ways and returned to each other after we had each grown and matured. It happens. Penitent? Yes, for personal habits or traits that prevented us from staying together in the first place. And it takes courage to reach out for that second chance! Some never find that courage for fear of disappointment.

For those times when it isn't in the Good Lord's plan for a second chance, I was reminded of Rilke's words recently when reading '10 poems to say goodbye' by roger housden; (excellent book)

"Every happiness is the child of a separation it did not think it could survive"

conversely, "every sorrow is the parent of a joy"
Jan 16th 2014 new
Kuddos Patrick for finding the courage to try!! and for sharing your story

Jan 16th 2014 new

No, Patrick; I figure that if it was meant to be, then it would have been.

heart

Jan 16th 2014 new
Bow Exactly.
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: Deja vu all over again. 1971 Cleveland - I'm 27 and my serious GF 21 ... but we let it end ... when maybe it shouldn't have. She loved "Bridge Over Troubled Water" then. We didn't let that Bridge keep us together.

I knew she was very much in love w/ me.

Experience, and learning.

Where is your 5-years younger ex-GF now?
She married someone that lived in Cleveland. She never had any children...maybe because she got married to the wrong person scratchchin
Jan 16th 2014 new
Or she just didn't want any.

I had a "one that got away". Saw him several years ago, and saw characteristics in him that made me realize my early desire for him was built on fantasy, as the reality was not pleasant. If I chose to, it'd be possible to play the what-if game (if he had been with me all these years, he'd be a better man, etc), but I don't think that game is healthy. What God wants us to do is realize our sinful ways, ask for forgiveness, turn away from those sins, LEAVE THE PAST IN THE PAST, and keep working at our holiness, being new creatures in Christ, working at being His Light in the world, and spreading His Love.

If we keep thinking about the one that got away, we miss noticing the one that's here today.
Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: If we keep thinking about the one that got away, we miss noticing the one that's here today.
True about the one here today.

I prefer to remember the quotation at Jonestown, 1978 ... "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." In other words, don't let another excellent one get away.

Jan 16th 2014 new
(quote) Ronald-937125 said: She married someone that lived in Cleveland. She never had any children...maybe because she got married to the wrong person
If it's any consolation, I know how you feel.

Maybe it was best we didn't windup w/ our Cleveland GFs. She and I tried to resolve the situation, but I think that both of us, in our 20s, didn't realize how good we might have been for each other.

I don't know how she is now, and am very unlikely to ever learn that.
Jan 17th 2014 new
Patrick,

I think if you've had any sort of correspondence with someone and then you decide to end it, you owe them an explanation. So, "no" I don't think it's too much to ask. It's the right thing to do and it provides both parties a sense of closure. You're a spring chicken though, so no worries. You have all the time in the world to find her:)

GOOD LUCK
Posts 51 - 60 of 83