Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 17th 2014 new
(quote) Lina-796057 said: Did you know that the church pays a fee for online giving? Does that change things for you?
I don't recall the percentage, but even if it were only 2.8%, it still means that the church isn't profiting as much as it could by having people give cash or write checks. In my way of thinking, where churches should be careful about expenses, that 2.8% could be better spent elsewhere. And with the online company I was familiar with, it really did not save accounting time and effort. A goal with online tithing is/was that the church receive a family's contribution even when they did not attend Mass at that church a particular weekend, like when they went on vacation. However, at my former parish, this did not hold true. I know--blah blah boring, but since I do not like the online tithing concept, I thought I'd throw out a different perspective.
I assumed it did cost; nothing is free. Our pastor has asked people to sign up multiple times. I figured he knew the tradeoff between auto deposit and basket deposit.
Jan 17th 2014 new

I don't.

But I've been thinking about it.

Until recently, all my banks have been real bozos, and it's a big hassle to do anything online. I also get a feeling of power out of writing the check. But I'm considering working abroad in coming years and thinking about the easiest ways to handle financial matters while I'm gone.

Jan 18th 2014 new
I pay everything, except church, doctor and landscaping bills online. Most are set up with automatic payments and I get a notice when they are ready to be sent. I also set up automatic transfers between accounts for my mortgage payments. I hate being late on a payment and left to my own devices, I would be. It was a hassle to get it all set up, but i like the of it.
Jan 18th 2014 new
I pay everything, except church, doctor and landscaping bills online. Most are set up with automatic payments and I get a notice when they are ready to be sent. I also set up automatic transfers between accounts for my mortgage payments. I hate being late on a payment and left to my own devices, I would be. It was a hassle to get it all set up, but i like the of it.
Jan 19th 2014 new
I pay just about everything online through the bank except my water bill for the city. This I usually pay by check because the water company is around the corner from my house and its more expensive to mail it than it is to drive around the corner and drop it in the drop box. I started paying my bills online several years ago mostly due to the easiness and no stamps. I have payments like my mortgage and insurance come out as automatic payments due to the importance of these payments. So far I haven't had any issues and it's convenient.
Jan 20th 2014 new

everytime I see this thread It reminds me to pay my upcoming bills. thanks!

Jan 20th 2014 new
in order to pay for anything with the school board you have to do it online. This new rule came about last month. Even parents have to pay for field trips online. It's a new world out there for some.
Jan 20th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: in order to pay for anything with the school board you have to do it online. This new rule came about last month. Even parents have to pay for field trips online. It's a new world out there for some.
Interesting! What does one do if they are computer illiterate and/or don't have a computer?

Obviously they can go pay someone to do it for them. Since most of those who fall into that category will be the poor, isn't that putting an unfair burden on them?
Jan 20th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Interesting! What does one do if they are computer illiterate and/or don't have a computer?

Obviously they can go pay someone to do it for them. Since most of those who fall into that category will be the poor, isn't that putting an unfair burden on them?

Paul,

there are numerous parents in my school who don't have a computer / don't know how to use one and don't have a debit account. I spoke to a first grade teacher about this when the parents/guardians were to register their child for the last field trip. She told me that those parents who were in those categories won't have their children attend the trips. I felt like she should have paid for the two in her class who couldn't go since the fee was $6 but she surprised me by not paying.

Since that field trip Mrs. C has brought those parents into her classroom to show them how to do the paperwork online. She is hoping that helped them.

In order for the employees to join our Sunshine Committee we have to go online to pay using a credit card. I haven't done it yet mainly because it's time consuming. Once another teacher gets online we will attempt the task together.

I don't agree with this new process of taking payment but that is only my two cents

Jan 20th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said:

there are numerous parents in my school who don't have a computer / don't know how to use one and don't have a debit account. I spoke to a first grade teacher about this when the parents/guardians were to register their child for the last field trip. She told me that those parents who were in those categories won't have their children attend the trips.

What happened to "no child left behind"? scratchchin

The teacher showing the parents how to perform the process online isn't likely to help if the parents don't have a computer or any means of completing an electronic payment.

Posts 31 - 40 of 48