Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) John-971967 said:

Now, a bird with chicks who are not ready to fly the nest yet may not have it's wings tied, but common sense tells it to stay with them; they must be provided for, protected and taught how to fly and survive.

Being grounded of one's own choosing is not brokenness; nor should focus on primary responsibility be construed as "baggage".

Ah, but think of the birds who stay close to their nests to feed parasitic cowbirds. They think they are doing their duty but if they weren't so bird-brained (hah) they would realize their actions were starving their own children.

So, is this thread really about people or about birds? I am so confused. laughing
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:

Putting aside the other verbiage in this clip, when you bring someone into this world, as a human or as God, do they owe you nothing because you are responsible for them? That they deserve your love because you made them, and when they make someone else, they will be similarly obligated as well? (There's supposedly an old Chinese saying that if you see someone about to kill himself, don't stop him unless you're prepared to look after him for the rest of your life.)

If it is your job (or hobby) to be a film reviewer from a Christian point of view, or if your RE teacher assigned you this topic, how would you respond to what the son said to his father?

http://tinyurl.com/kkcj9ee

I've actually seen that movie before. The people we bring into this world technically owe us nothing, anything they do give us is an act of love. If they did do things for us solely because they were obligated to it would mean nothing, be essentially meaningless.
The son is right (in some points, he was a bit harsh with his father, but essentially right).
That seems to be an awful Chinese saying. I understand it in theory, but it is not right and completely goes against what we as Christians are called to do. A person should care more about the life of someone who wants to kill him or herself than the comforts of not having to look after someone for the rest of your life.
Thanks for the clip, I liked looking at the movie through a Christian lens.
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Ann-1035042 said: The people we bring into this world technically owe us nothing, anything they do give us is an act of love.
Legally, this may be correct; morally it is not: recall the fourth commandment: honor thy father and they mother.
Jan 18th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Has Roystan been mistaking the forums for his pot of soup again?
Perhaps his best reflections could be used to stir up the next chicken soup for the soul? Has it been the case already?
Jan 18th 2014 new

Ann, Jerry makes a very important point, but do not let it discourage you from posting. If it ever does, just read some of mine and you will know right away that you can do better :)

Jan 18th 2014 new

theheart theheart theheart rose rosary rosary rose theheart Hello everyone,

This is a beautiful topic. I think one of the many things that attract me to someone is their

"broken wing". Especially, when it is something they carry, live with and don't put it 'out there'

. To me someone who is vulnerable is beautiful. I don't want the perfect man. Not that there is

one. I want a man who has been beat up a bit by life and is more beautiful inside because of

it. I'd like to think that it is his broken wing that has really taught him to fly.

Jan 19th 2014 new
Couldn't that be interpreted to mean that you are to love them even though you owe them nothing?

When you are commanded to love your neighbour as yourself, is it because you owe him love to the extent of the love you have for yourself, or because you are commanded to give him that amount of love even though, but for the commandment, you would owe him nothing?

When you have pity on someone with a broken wing to the extent that you want to marry that individual so you can look after him or her, are you discharging a debt to that person?
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Legally, this may be correct; morally it is not: recall the fourth commandment: honor thy father and they mother.
We can only love to the extent that we have understood the love that we have received. That is why the first command is to love our God above all else. When we begin to understand how much He has loved us, we begin to love ourselves 'better' and then love others 'better' also. We can only love our neighbor as ourself to the extent that we understand how much God loves us.
Is it obvious that the son in the clip has no idea how much he has been loved by his Father and Mother, so therefor extends less honor than we would like.
That is precisely why God our Father sent his Son. To Open our eyes to the love of the Father for us who are so undeserving. Undeserving because of our ignorance.

the greatest prayer I have ever prayed (other than the Our Father) was;
Lord, show me who you say I am.

as He shows me who He created me to be, I begin to see how much He loves me, and I am humbled, and I learn to love myself more deeply, and I learn to love others to that same depth.

does anyone owe anyone anything? We owe God everything and we give Him as much as we are capable of by giving to our brothers and sisters, His creation, and ourselves. Take care to do so, we are our brothers keeper.
Jan 19th 2014 new
Thank you Roystan!!!
You get us thinking more deeply than we would on an ordinary Saturday night/Sunday morning! Answer the second question for us?
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: Couldn't that be interpreted to mean that you are to love them even though you owe them nothing?

When you are commanded to love your neighbour as yourself, is it because you owe him love to the extent of the love you have for yourself, or because you are commanded to give him that amount of love even though, but for the commandment, you would owe him nothing?

When you have pity on someone with a broken wing to the extent that you want to marry that individual so you can look after him or her, are you discharging a debt to that person?
If my walk around understanding of Christ's revelation as Word made flesh...I owe my neighbor love to the extent that I have been loved by my Sovereign Lord...and HE is an unconditional LOVER.

just saying....
Posts 51 - 60 of 116