Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:
 (shake, shake, shake) tail feather .......... in a loop de loop ....................

so nice to see you dance for a change like a feather on a dance floor ... you do surprise us biggrin
Jan 19th 2014 new

I just saw this on Facebook...

"Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broomstick. We're flexible that way."

Of course the broken wing reference brought me back to this thread. I had no idea of the depth it developed.

Karen stated it perfectly. "We owe God everything and we give Him as much as we are capable of by giving to our brothers and sisters, His creation, and ourselves. Take care to do so, we are our brothers keeper."

I don't mean to detract.

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: When you have pity on someone with a broken wing to the extent that you want to marry that individual so you can look after him or her, are you discharging a debt to that person?
Pity may move us to acting in love-reaching outward. The Perfect Love that Jesus showed us of His Father....went beyond pity, beyond empathy, to total merging and melting into the particular brokenness of His Creatures...some may call this a "crazy love" or a "radical love"...not "sensible" love. HE showed us the Perfect Way.

Marriage reflects Christ merging and melting into ONE...two flesh-covered souls attempting in total prayer under the headship of Christ to mirror that Divine Perfect Love...in our walk-around world.

Yes, in wanting to marry this individual, I am discharging a debt to my Author of Life... to my broken-wing spouse, and ultimately...to myself. For in marriage....this beloved enables me to become ...a new me...a me of two...a BETTER me, and with Christ...a cord of three strands....as united as is possible here. Good News!

Jan 19th 2014 new
I see the points to both sides of this argument. On the one hand, only the strongest of us could take on someone so broken that we wouldn't become broken in the process, and there I think is the danger. On the other hand, didn't Jesus himself embrace and cherish the most broken members of society and love them unconditionally?
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said:

"Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings, we continue to fly, on a broomstick. We're flexible that way."

what about me -------->>>>>>> men seems we are always left out of the equation, not angels and do have broken wings sad ...

surely men are not depicted to fly on a broomstick, rather the imagery as a wizard carrying only a shepherd's staff or wand .... scratchchin
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I will say, though, that when I hear people complain about some trivial habit or other of their spouse's, I really do think "you don't know how much you'll miss that very thing when you lose him/her". Probably they're not as superficial as they sound, perhaps there are complaints about big things masquerading as complaints about small things. 
This is so true, Paul. My husband and I were two broken people who came together as one and stayed together for 37 years. We completed the broken parts of each other but there were times when I would get so frustrated with him over the (now realized) smallest of things. I would give anything to have him back...little frustrations and all! PTSS is incredibly difficult to deal with alone and even though he didn't understand it, he knew how to handle it. Learning to trust God with it has been exceptionally painful and terrifying. One day at a time...one breath at a time...one Hail Mary at a time...
Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: Couldn't that be interpreted to mean that you are to love them even though you owe them nothing?

When you are commanded to love your neighbour as yourself, is it because you owe him love to the extent of the love you have for yourself, or because you are commanded to give him that amount of love even though, but for the commandment, you would owe him nothing?

When you have pity on someone with a broken wing to the extent that you want to marry that individual so you can look after him or her, are you discharging a debt to that person?
Where there is a positive moral obligation to another person, as established by the commandment, I would say that, yes, you owe that person something. Perhaps you can find some definition of 'owe' that you interpret to mean otherwise; however, at that point I say it's quibbling over semantics.

The fourth commandment reminds grown children of their responsibilities toward their parents. As much as they can, they must give them material and moral support in old age and in times of illness, loneliness, or distress. Jesus recalls this duty of gratitude (CCC 2218)

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: When you have pity on someone with a broken wing to the extent that you want to marry that individual so you can look after him or her, are you discharging a debt to that person?
What debt would that be?

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: What debt would that be?

I'm piggy backing on Jerry's post.

I don't think we have a debt to another or that we owe them in this sense of reciprocity. Over and over we are called to love without expectation of return. To love and do good because it is the way Christ teaches and Our Father wants us to be. We love because we are called to love without conditions. In Luke (below) we see what merit is there if we love only those who love us? None. The concept of a debt owing or an obligation owing to another conditions this love.

In each person -- good or bad -- friend or enemy we are called to see Christ and to love regardless. This does not mean however one has to marry another person. . .loving another is quite independent of a marital commitment. I think that in respecting the dignity of each person we are offering love as well. And, this is what we are called to do.

I think we are called to love. Love is an action. We are called to unconditional love. There is no debt to be satisfied in this vocation only a mission to attend. It is not something another has to ask us for. . .we should just do it.

biblehub.com

www.biblegateway.com

Luke 6:27-36

New International Version (NIV)

Love for Enemies

27 But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

32 If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Jan 19th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Good point. And it's not even accurate as metaphor -- baggage is stuff you take with you because you need it, 'baggage' is bad stuff you can't let go of.
after posting this I was thinking my baggage is black, waiting to be packed again for an adventure!
Posts 61 - 70 of 116