Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of prayer life, posting prayers of the Church and prayer requests.

Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations.
Learn more: Saint Jude

Feb 20th 2014 new

They were a model couple. They went to many Masses during the week....as well as on Sundays. And they had a lot in common....doing many things together. And I've seen very few married couples who loved each other so "unconditionally" And if an unkind word was ever exchanged it certainly wasn't in public. They could separate at parties..but would still be aware of where the other one was. They would bring home gifts ...and flowers....and hold hands in public even after they were older. (79, 70) Both liked working in the yard...but together. They were SO happy to DO for one another.

And when my Father died (who introduced them 34 years ago) they asked if they could "carry down the gifts" We (our family) happily obliged.

AND....they were the epitome of GREAT friends. After surgery two years ago..."M" cooked meals and brought them out the 18 miles to me. And when my old car didn't start and needed some work...Richard brought a "jump box" and drove it the 17 or 18 miles to my personal mechanic.

And unbeknownst to me....they loaned money to a family member one time with no collateral or "time period" to pay it back. The family member did so early~

I learned a lot from them....what a great loving relationship a good Catholic marriage can produce....and what REAL friends are all about. This weekend I will be returning favors for "M" as she deals with this period of grief~

Feb 20th 2014 new
So very sorry, Jerry. I like your thought that perhaps our prayers helped Richard to NOT have to endure as much suffering as he may have without them. It's also nice to think that our prayers usher our loved ones home.

Pancreatic cancer is horrible. Prayers of thanksgiving for a peaceful passing. And may Our Lord continue to hold his wife, family, and friends close during the very difficult next few days.

He sounds like a wonderful friend, as does his wife. Blessed were those who witnessed the love between them such as you did. Those kind of relationships touch us in ways that last forever.

God bless.

Feb 20th 2014 new
(quote) Mary-363093 said: So very sorry, Jerry. I like your thought that perhaps our prayers helped Richard to NOT have to endure as much suffering as he may have without them. It's also nice to think that our prayers usher our loved ones home.

Pancreatic cancer is horrible. Prayers of thanksgiving for a peaceful passing. And may Our Lord continue to hold his wife, family, and friends close during the very difficult next few days.

He sounds like a wonderful friend, as does his wife. Blessed were those who witnessed the love between them such as you did. Those kind of relationships touch us in ways that last forever.

God bless.

Thanks so much Mary for the kind words. And NO....people like that leave an indelible imprint on me. I will never forget~
Feb 20th 2014 new
Jerry,

I am so very sorry that I missed your message yesterday. Prayers of course for all who knew him and loved him and prayers for Richard. Please give M an extra hug for me when you are able. If she feels the need to speak to someone, I would be happy to lend an ear, as I know some of what she will experience. Hugs to you, my friend.
Feb 20th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Jerry,

I am so very sorry that I missed your message yesterday. Prayers of course for all who knew him and loved him and prayers for Richard. Please give M an extra hug for me when you are able. If she feels the need to speak to someone, I would be happy to lend an ear, as I know some of what she will experience. Hugs to you, my friend.
Thank you Lauren. Not to worry. I just didn't know the END would come so soon, other than the fact that he must have been pretty "advanced" when they ran the tests to confirm. I found out... the disease claimed two others in his family at different times. Very nice to offer. My sister is a very close friend of hers....and, she and Richard had many friends themselves. (those kinds of people attract a lot of friends) I will tell her that you offered. And if I ever get around to showing her this thread...she will be "bowled over" with this tremendous outpouring by CMers~
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Mary-363093 said: So very sorry, Jerry. I like your thought that perhaps our prayers helped Richard to NOT have to endure as much suffering as he may have without them. It's also nice to think that our prayers usher our loved ones home.

God bless.

Mary I was reading part of his obit this morning.

Among other things mentioned.....he loved fishing...and was quite good at it.

On a humorous note he was always quoted as saying "Fish tremble when they hear my name!" lol!

But to kind of substantiate what I posted above it also said,

"For the last 30 years he enjoyed a harmonious and special bond with his wife, Mary who together, showed the rest of the world how love was meant to be. His church family at St. Elizabeth Catholic Church was very special to him. He was a Eucharistic Minister"

Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Mary I was reading part of his obit this morning.

Among other things mentioned.....he loved fishing...and was quite good at it.

On a humorous note he was always quoted as saying "Fish tremble when they hear my name!" lol!

But to kind of substantiate what I posted above it also said,

"For the last 30 years he enjoyed a harmonious and special bond with his wife, Mary who together, showed the rest of the world how love was meant to be. His church family at St. Elizabeth Catholic Church was very special to him. He was a Eucharistic Minister"

"Fish tremble when they hear my name!" That's a hoot! laughing Good for Richard! (Wish I could say the same - it's been so long since I've done any 'real' fishing, I'm pretty sure fish would laugh when they hear mine!) rolling eyes wink

The obit line above about their special relationship is wonderful! We should all be so lucky to find, accept, and nurture that kind of love in our lives. lovestruck! AND to celebrate it with our church families. theheart Richard certainly was blessed! hug

Prayers will continue for you and all his friends and family over the weekend during the final goodbyes. Hard to let go of someone so special - but sounds like his life was one well worthy of major celebrations! hug Praying
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Mary-363093 said: "Fish tremble when they hear my name!" That's a hoot! Good for Richard! (Wish I could say the same - it's been so long since I've done any 'real' fishing, I'm pretty sure fish would laugh when they hear mine!)

The obit line above about their special relationship is wonderful! We should all be so lucky to find, accept, and nurture that kind of love in our lives. AND to celebrate it with our church families. Richard certainly was blessed!

Prayers will continue for you and all his friends and family over the weekend during the final goodbyes. Hard to let go of someone so special - but sounds like his life was one well worthy of major celebrations!
laughing Speaking of celebrations: I'm quite sure it was a celebration seeing each other again (Richard and my Father) because they were friends for many years (1952)
Feb 24th 2014 new

As far as funerals go...this was one of the most deeply meaningful ones I have attended.

One of the concelebrants....Father "B" is a good friend of mine...and it was nice seeing him up there

With the priests dressed in white...I was thinking "Hey...it REALLY is a "Mass of Celebration"

Between Father "B's" homily and my sisters' heartrending...yet humorous eulogy....I think "M" looked at peace. I certainly felt peaceful.

At the reception....I happened to "blurt out" an oxymoron....which a couple of people actually agreed on.

I said, " You know when you think about it....DEATH is as much a part of LIFE as anything else"

Thanks again CMers~j

Mar 12th 2014 new

Not going to start a new thread for Mary...but I DID speak with her yesterday. I knew it would be a good time to do so...because after all the friends/relatives have left town.....and you are alone...the real grief sets in.

She was pretty bereaved....but I did get her to laugh about some of Richard's quirks, antics and practical jokes...and how he "named" every cow on their farm.

Posts 81 - 90 of 90