Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Preferences

Feb 16 new
Explain why is it that when I run a search for men at least 5'11" and slender I still get matched with shorter men and heavier men?
Why bother filling out the preference at all?
I promise this will be the last time I kvetch.
I just can't take this site seriously anymore.
Feb 16 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: Explain why is it that when I run a search for men at least 5'11" and slender I still get matched with shorter men and heavier men?
Why bother filling out the preference at all?
I promise this will be the last time I kvetch.
I just can't take this site seriously anymore.
I believe their matching uses a different criteria.
Feb 16 new

There's two different types of matches. There is the match system that is based on the match profile created through the questions and answers that do not appear in the CM member's profile, but through the CM questionnaire. Then there are the searches where you can customize your search based on your preferences for things such as appearance, distance, adherence to Church teachings, and so on.

Celine, I believe you are referring to the customized searches where you enter the criteria and run a search. I am not sure why the results end up that way. You may have to verify the other criteria in the search, as the search may be running with the geographic criteria as the primary factor, for example. You may have to run a few searches with different combinations of criteria in order to get the results that you are seeking. If your custom search results still don't yield what you are seeking after tinkering a bit, I'd recommend a help ticket. If there is a technical problem admin should be able to provide an answer.

Feb 16 new
Celine, I just did a search with criteria set to exactly 6'1" and slender, and the only results I got ALL had those two qualities. But as Angela mentioned there are two different types of matches and they are not linked to each other in any way at all.

So the searches that are performed by a member and the settings they choose for their searches are completely independent of the automatic "matches" that are sent to you by CM.

But it appears that the searching filters are working properly (at least for me). If the searches you are performing are not filtered according to the settings you specify then as Angela pointed out also - opening a help ticket can often quickly resolve any bugs you might be experiencing.

Hope that your experience here improves, and if asking questions helps that happen, then please do not ever feel bad about asking them here - asking them is not being a pain.
Feb 16 new
Dave,
I don't remember taking the CM questionnaire. How do I retake it so as to narrow my search to only never married, widowers,55-80, who answer yes to all faith ?s, who stand at least 5'11 and slender or average.?
I have reset my specific filter and I'll see if anyone appears....
But do I need to take the original CM questionnaire again to avoid being matched with divorcees, (especially divorced with children)?
Feb 16 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: Dave,
I don't remember taking the CM questionnaire. How do I retake it so as to narrow my search to only never married, widowers,55-80, who answer yes to all faith ?s, who stand at least 5'11 and slender or average.?
But do I need to take the original CM questionnaire again to avoid being matched with divorcees, (especially divorced with children)?
Celine, I think he's talking about the Match Portrait. Check your home page,to the left side. This creates matches but we can't specify height, etc. The search criteria are defined by you. Matches are different from search results. You are in control of your searches.
Feb 16 new
(quote) Celine-1048968 said: Dave,
Even if you were to retake the Match Portrait Questionnaire (Would require at least a help ticket be opened - if it is even allowed) it would not result in the avoidance of what you are hoping for.

The search function should give you the higher level of personal control in filtering the qualities you are looking for in CM members, that the Match Portrait matches does not provide for you.

There are many CM members who complelety ignore the matching system, others that do not have access to it due to their divorce status, and many members that have never completed the questionnaire - thus making matches that much more difficult.

The Match Portrait matches are one of many tools available here on CM, and it is important to keep in mind that not all of the tools are beneficial to all of the members.

My suggestion would be to stick with the searches you can perform yourself and define your won criteria - and basically ignore the automatic matching system until such time that it may better suit your needs with what it has to offer.
Feb 16 new
Thanks Dave for such a detailed response.
Have a good night.

Sincerely
Celine
Feb 16 new
How do I change my search criteria and make it save?
Feb 16 new
(quote) Jane-933948 said: How do I change my search criteria and make it save?
To save any search:
One the search is submitted and you are presented with the "Search Results" page, there is and "Actions" button in the top right corner of the search results header. From the drop down that is presented when clicked, you should be presented with a "save this search" option which will allow you to save the search criteria under a name of your choosing.

One main benefit of a "saved search" is that you will be notified weekly if there are any new results to any of the saved searches.

The list of your named searches you custom create is available from the "search" drop down menu for easy access.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10