Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 20th 2014 new
(quote) Nicole-911816 said: This will likely seem morbid, but at age 22 I did just what you're asking: I actually wrote my own obituary. I did not intend or hope to die anytime soon, but I was in a reflective period of my life (who isn't at age 22?!) and enjoyed expressing myself in words. I was very pleased with it....until my parents saw it on the computer and understandably freaked out!

However, the tragic death two years ago of a dear friend of my brother's even prompted my then 29 year-old brother to assemble a list of people he'd want notified if he passed. He has traveled the globe and lived on all sides of the country, so our family is not acquainted with many of his friends.

Such preparations are sensible to me if one desires to to make them, but I recommend informing loved ones that such preparations are merely to ease one own's mind rather than an indication of intent to die imminently.
Hello Nicole,

I bet that did give your parents a scare. It's alot like my parents, they paid for their plots and took care of every detail for their survivors. It's not something people in general like to think about, however, a little preparation goes a long way. Great advise for all of us out there should anyone decide to write one up, give our loved ones a heads up.

blessings,
sharon
Feb 20th 2014 new
I probably shouldn't say this, but....
Many, many years ago my parents bought a family plot, and informed me, to my surprise, that this included space for me.
Years later my wife passed away and was buried in another cemetery altogether. There's a stone there with her name and mine on it, with space for my date of death.
However, if I remarry, there will presumably be a third grave involved at some point.
The obvious solution is to be cremated and have a scoop deposited in each.
Getting into the spirit of the thing, I thought of having little cards printed saying "Want to pay your requests to Paul? Choose any one of three convenient locations near you!".
It might get me a page in the Guiness Book of Records, anyway.
Feb 20th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I probably shouldn't say this, but....
Many, many years ago my parents bought a family plot, and informed me, to my surprise, that this included space for me.
Years later my wife passed away and was buried in another cemetery altogether. There's a stone there with her name and mine on it, with space for my date of death.
However, if I remarry, there will presumably be a third grave involved at some point.
Getting into the spirit of the thing, I thought of having little cards printed saying "Want to pay your requests to Paul? Choose any one of three convenient locations near you!".
Well, I blew my own punchline! that ought to have been "want to pay your respects", not 'requests". Sheesh!
Feb 20th 2014 new
I agree with you, Carol.
Feb 20th 2014 new
Hello Paul,

I am so sorry to hear your wife passed away! I don't want to tell you this, but I had to laugh, not at the thought of any of our deaths of course, but at the thought of you saying put a scoop in each one and then making the guiness book of records.........of course, it sounds a little big like an ad also, choose any of the three convenient locations near you ;0)

Paul have a good night, and I'm not laughing in a terrible way, just imagining what you had to say.

blessings,
sharon
Feb 21st 2014 new
laughing Thanks, Paul for shedding some light on this dark topic tombstone . I would rather dwell on the here and now. Looking forward to what God has in store for me while walking terra firma.

I mean no affront to you, Sharon. This topic is not my cup of tea. Once we start a string we need to take the good with the bad. I've started strings that were total duds with little or no response. Don't take it personal -- please. hug
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said: Hello Paul,

I am so sorry to hear your wife passed away! I don't want to tell you this, but I had to laugh, not at the thought of any of our deaths of course, but at the thought of you saying put a scoop in each one and then making the guiness book of records.........of course, it sounds a little big like an ad also, choose any of the three convenient locations near you ;0)

Paul have a good night, and I'm not laughing in a terrible way, just imagining what you had to say.

blessings,
sharon
It's OK, Sharon, I DID aim to make people laugh with this (true) story.
Feb 21st 2014 new
As Catholics, we treat the cremains the same as we would treat the body....which must be buried in sacred ground and hopefully not divided up. (Unless you turn out to be a Saint, in which case if you lived in the olden days they would be distributing your relics far and wide. Don't worry, it's not done anymore.) I read in the book "The End" that at the end of time your angel has to go and collect your body. Don't make it too difficult..... leave a map!

This idea of an obituary made my mind turn to eulogies, which Catholics are not to do...we are to pray for the soul of the deceased at a funeral, not canonize them. The Church declares Saints, not the survivors. I told my daughter not to dare let anyone get up at my funeral and start saying nice things about me. I said "tell them I expect each and every one of them to pray a rosary for me and to assume I am in purgatory until they hear otherwise." She really balked at that, so I told her I would write a letter to that effect that she can read at my funeral. Just think, I could evangelize post mortem.....would probably remind everyone there that they could be next and they better get to confession now!
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Nilda-834707 said: Hello, Sharon.

Since I was born into this world with no fanfare, I'd like to depart in the same manner.

On a heavenly plain, however, I think when we are born, that it is greatly noticed in heaven, and I pray that when I die there will be great fanfare in heaven as well. party
Feb 21st 2014 new

With the passing of a good friend this week I have thought of this.

But really.....I wouldn't want to write my own. I would think family and friends would come up with something.

I truly love my family and friends.....and that would probably give them good criteria~

Posts 21 - 30 of 69