Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-1026653 said: On a heavenly plain, however, I think when we are born, that it is greatly noticed in heaven, and I pray that when I die there will be great fanfare in heaven as well.
True (on a heavenly plain), but as a terrestrial (not dead yet), I don't see the need for the fanfare. If given an expiration date by a knucklehead doctor, I would simply see a priest for a general confession, tie all loose ends (financially, a will etc.) and call it a day. As you say, I truly believe heaven is joyful when we true servants of the Lord arrive at the pearly gates. theheart

I understand an Orbituary to mean:

An obituary is a news article that reports the recent death of a person, typically along with an account of the person's life and information about the upcomingfuneral.[1] In large cities and larger newspapers, obituaries are written only for people considered significant.[1] In local newspapers, an obituary may be published for any local resident upon death. A necrology is a register or list of records of the deaths of people related to a particular organization, group or field, which may only contain the sparsest details, or small obituaries. Historical necrologies can be important sources of information.

Two types of paid advertisements are related to obituaries. One, known as a death notice, omits most biographical details and may be a legally required public notice under some circumstances. The other type, a paid memorial advertisement, is usually written by family members or friends, perhaps with assistance from afuneral home.[1] Both types of paid advertisements are usually run as classified advertisements.

Then, what are we confusing an orbiturary (a record of death and surviving family members) with? So, what's up with the autobio-obi? Just trying to understand.

Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Nilda-834707 said: Hello, Sharon.

Since I was born into this world with no fanfare, I'd like to depart in the same manner.

ditto ditto ditto... Bow Bow
and, may I add, Nilda, that start can make one's purpose quite clear. Good News! clap
Hence, my obit above highfive thumbsup
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: It's OK, Sharon, I DID aim to make people laugh with this (true) story.
Your the best Paul....thank you for understanding wave
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said: I suppose one could say that if a funeral Mass is more about God than it is about the deceased, that the Mass is more to concentrate the minds of the living on the Living God, into whose hands it is a fearful thing to fall, than on the dead person who is the nominal centre of attention, then an obituary or eulogy should have the same purpose --- to concentrate the minds of the living, through the anecdote of the obituary or eulogy, on the Living God.

If God is the reason for your living, and God is the reason for your death, then something that is supposed to be an explanation or account of your life should, one would think, say something about the Reason for you.

Whatever Mike Hughes' religious beliefs might have been, this is essentially an atheistic obituary. It can't say much because it's not talking about the thing, or Person, that matters. It's not Mike Hughes' fault. A religious obituary is probably as much an art form as a stand-out ad copy. You can't write about a relationship with God five minutes before you die unless you know what that relationship has entailed, and that takes time, if not years. How did you come to know God? How did you stay with him? I guess the time to plan how you would like your obituary to read is now, if your obituary is to be a story of your relationship, through the permanent and passing people and events in your life, with your maker. Obituaries can be quite name-dropping, as this one is, and if God is family and friend, where is he? And, perhaps, he should feature in your obituary as your legacy to the cause of spreading his name to anyone who might have eyes to see and ears to hear. Like charity, you can't take it with you but you can send it ahead. And if you own up to being a disciple of Jesus as one of the last things you'll ever do in this life, perhaps Jesus will own up to you being his disciple as one of the first things he will do for you in the next.

Perhaps there were challenges in Mike Hughes' life. He mentions a Father Augustine as a boyhood mentor. But he also had a son predecease him, a son who had a gay partner who is included in the Hughes family as an honorary son-in-law. And Hughes himself, a lifelong non-smoker, was, he says, in another article on the Internet, felled by secondary smoke from his father's three pack a day smoking habit which the father came to hate but could not give up. So, essentially, at the relatively young age of 65, he was killed by his father, a thing he says the old man would have grieved had he not died earlier. That's two tragedies. But, in the long run, God can and will fix everything. So, rest in peace, Mike.

To write an obituary that should cover all your bases with humans and with God, will it take a think time of two weeks, or a lifetime and two weeks?

That was seriously good.
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I probably shouldn't say this, but....
Many, many years ago my parents bought a family plot, and informed me, to my surprise, that this included space for me.
Years later my wife passed away and was buried in another cemetery altogether. There's a stone there with her name and mine on it, with space for my date of death.
However, if I remarry, there will presumably be a third grave involved at some point.
The obvious solution is to be cremated and have a scoop deposited in each.
Getting into the spirit of the thing, I thought of having little cards printed saying "Want to pay your requests to Paul? Choose any one of three convenient locations near you!".
It might get me a page in the Guiness Book of Records, anyway.
Maybe proflowers will be running a special....
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Cindy-534370 said: This doesn't any sense to me. It is pretty sad that a person now has to write their own obituary. That is for somebody else to do, if there is anybody left around to do that.
Many do not have an obituary and not even known about.
Is it necessary? To me, no.
It is bad enough that you have to cover your own funeral expenses.
Hello Cindy,

I have to agree with you on that, bad enough you have to pay for your own death. Many times I have had thoughts that it should be a tax payers right, when born, since parents have to send paperwork to SS office for number on child, that each child should be declared a plot in the state in which they were born. Now, if they lived elsewhere, I could see the expense of the flight being payed by the family members to get it back home. I know you mentioned it doesn't make any sense, but working in the obituary department, you can understand that I handled hundreds that went into print each day.

blessings,
sharon
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: If given two weeks to live, how would I write my own Obituary? --Very, very quickly!

Hey Paul.....I think I like your sense of humor.....keep it up! clap
Feb 21st 2014 new

In two weeks, I could write it in seven words-She tried to be kind to all. I am a literary soul just doing a quick Hemingway obit.

Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Kristin-926543 said:

In two weeks, I could write it in seven words-She tried to be kind to all. I am a literary soul just doing a quick Hemingway obit.

Perfectly succinct, Kristin.

Feb 22nd 2014 new
Mine would read:

He was a decent cook but not as smart as he seemed. He began life with a lot of promise but fizzled into apathy and spent the last 3 decades of his life doing nothing. His death won't make a big splash, but go to the funeral anyway - he arranged for a good caterer.
Posts 31 - 40 of 69