Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 22nd 2014 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Mine would read:

He was a decent cook but not as smart as he seemed. He began life with a lot of promise but fizzled into apathy and spent the last 3 decades of his life doing nothing. His death won't make a big splash, but go to the funeral anyway - he arranged for a good caterer.
Now that was funny David, I'm always up for a good free meal! ;0)
Feb 22nd 2014 new
My mom is 89. Last week her neighbor lady/friend, passed away. Except for my mom, she was the last of a group of neighbors who had all raised their kids together and who had been neighbors for 50 years. Now all are dead or moved away. She was showing me her friend's write-up in the funeral program. It told of her husbands and children and her return to school after the kids were grown, earning a big degree, with top honors, and working in medicine etc. And I said to my mom, 'Why don't you just write yours down now." And she said, kind of like it was nothing....."mine will just say I worked at the food shelf and volunteered at the hospital." And I thought...Jesus really loves you! She was in charge of funeral luncheons at our church for 40 years. She volunteered thousands of hours at the hospital. She still works the food shelf every week. She was a Girl Scout with her five daughters for years. Not to mention putting on 5 weddings, and sewing most of the bridesmaid dresses. Three weddings were within 2 years. Earning college degrees don't get you in the door, but what you do with them could. I would also like to add, and this has nothing to do with salvation, she whipped me in bowling on her 89th birthday bowling party! Interestingly, the picture of me with my mom is the most liked photograph in my profile, and I don't think it's because of me. Feel free to check it out.
I am truly blessed.

Feb 23rd 2014 new
(quote) David-364112 said: Mine would read:

He was a decent cook but not as smart as he seemed. He began life with a lot of promise but fizzled into apathy and spent the last 3 decades of his life doing nothing. His death won't make a big splash, but go to the funeral anyway - he arranged for a good caterer.
You should have mentioned the name of the caterer(corky and lenny's?)
Feb 23rd 2014 new
"She did her best."

I would then use the remaining 13 days 23 hours 59 minutes and 30 seconds arranging and hosting a FABULOUS vacation getaway for any friends and family that could come. Leave the black crepe and mourning at the door- this is a party, people!

Oh, and no black at the funeral, please. I may also arrange for some kind of multi colored balloon release and possibly noisemakers and horns. Those who know me will understand. party
Feb 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: You should have mentioned the name of the caterer(corky and lenny's?)
A former Clevelander! I like Corkey's, but was thinking more along the lines of Balaton.
Feb 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: "She did her best."

I would then use the remaining 13 days 23 hours 59 minutes and 30 seconds arranging and hosting a FABULOUS vacation getaway for any friends and family that could come. Leave the black crepe and mourning at the door- this is a party, people!

Oh, and no black at the funeral, please. I may also arrange for some kind of multi colored balloon release and possibly noisemakers and horns. Those who know me will understand.
clap clap claplove it!
Feb 23rd 2014 new
(quote) David-364112 said: A former Clevelander! I like Corkey's, but was thinking more along the lines of Balaton.
Buffalo actually---but I had relatives there and my dad grew up there.--Good memories.
Feb 24th 2014 new
I'd sit up to my roof and ponder the many loves in my life........
www.youtube.com


Feb 24th 2014 new
up/ to.....jeeesshhhh, I guess I had better proof read my eulogy better than that!!!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I would ask to have it all said with music and with flowers,
(flowers usher in the Joy of the occasion)
I know that only sanctioned music is allowed during the Mass but I would like every kind to be playing on the way in and on the way out of both the wake and funeral. I have notes here and there tucked into bibles in my home as to which songs spell it out, as Roystan says, how God has taken me by the hand.

Feb 25th 2014 new
Sharon,
Very interesting question.
Can I ask you one?
Why are you asking?
Your question reminded me of a country song that I only heard once, that asked, "What Would You Say?"
I do not think it was about an obituary, but when suddenly faced with death, what would you say for yourself?
The song mentioned a few situations. Last words over a cell phone from the Twin Towers as they burned on 9/11. Trapped in a mine, no hope rescue would come in time. Knowing.
I only heard it once, and it was very moving and powerful.
For myself, I would say something to my sons, and try to make it wise, loving, and last their lifetimes.
I just hope if that if I am ever in that situation, I will, in my last moments, be blessed by the Holy Spirit, who touches me, and draws out far more from my soul than I could ever hope to say on my own, that that will light a star in their hearts and bless them. A gift to outlast me.
Posts 41 - 50 of 69