Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Feb 21st 2014 new
I read everyone's comments and I couldn't help but think of Elizabeth and Zachariah, you just never know! You may be the best father in the world and you may find a wonderful woman you can share your dream with or you may be blessed with a wonderful woman with a child for you to love and nurture. Your child may become a great hero or disciple. Only God knows. I wish you God's grace in your endeavor...
Feb 21st 2014 new
I have to give it up for Roystan and Jim clap clap; great responses men!!

The reality is children are expensive and at 55 you will have to work far past retirement to afford them. Are you willing to work till you are 75 years old? If you live to 75?

And thank you VERY much Roystan!! As a special ed teacher I can attest that older sperm produces less healthy (mentally/physically) children. I am not saying that children with special needs are less valuable than children without special needs, HOWEVER it takes a great deal of energy and lots of LONG years to parent children with special needs. Do you really have LONG years and high energy at 55-70 years old to parent children with special needs? Add to that the expense of parenting a child with special needs. You need to be realistic.

And of course, as Ron pointed out, finding a woman 20 years your junior on CM who is ready and willing to marry someone so much older is not likely. But, Ron, REALLY, you think that divorced people aren't as bad as their profile shows? So is the never married person somehow superior to the divorced person? Lets not judge the value of anyone here as you have no idea what their past experiences have been.
Feb 21st 2014 new
Edwin I guess by now,and being single, you might well be extremely financially secure then that would be one challenge out of the way. I have one very close friend whose husband was 54 when their last child was born.Four years later he was dead He left her penniless and possibily of homelessness as she was a SAHM of seven kids. This was his choice as we would not let her work. Why I dont know. I had eight and worked when my youngest was 2. To all intensive purposes he was a very holy man. Formerly a Priest,if you can be formerly a Priest.He was on various commitees at his Parish Church and even was involved in the starting up of a new Catholic High School. He followed all the teachings of Holy Mother Church and yet he had not provided for the possibility of dying, all important,no life insurance, nothing. These are things you need to consider if you are seeking to marry a woman of child bearing age. Remember the Churches teaching on no contraception. Depending on how many years of child bearing she has left you could end up any number of kids. Well I hope this helps and gives you food for thought.
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said:

My advice is to ask yourself if you would want your dad to be 75 years old at your high school graduation? ...

Wouldn't he have to be the same age no matter where he was ? smile
Feb 21st 2014 new

Ya got me there, Kevin.

Feb 21st 2014 new

To lay it all out there, I have no issue with parenthood at an older age. I do have an issue with cross-generational dating, which is a choice separate from older parenthood, although in some cases, it may be linked.

I'm not sure that I'm following this "children cost money" train of thought. People are talking like someone who wants to start a family in their fifties has never worked a day in their life, has no savings, no equity, no property, and therefore has less time to hurry up and save up this vast incredible sum of money it takes to raise children. You shouldn't assume someone has to work until they are 75 if they want to start a family at 55. Maybe they already have a more than comfortable financial cushion, and wish to share it with someone.

Personally, I find it a lot scarier when people who have no full-time jobs and no education start families before they are 21.

As for the energy, lifespan and parental involvement issues, older parents who are family-oriented are much better role models for their children than some of those younger, immature parents who are unfaithful to each other, and shirk the responsibilities that go with parenthood. There are lots of young deadbeats out there, too.

Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Angela-374523 said:

To lay it all out there, I have no issue with parenthood at an older age. I do have an issue with cross-generational dating, which is a choice separate from older parenthood, although in some cases, it may be linked.

I'm not sure that I'm following this "children cost money" train of thought. People are talking like someone who wants to start a family in their fifties has never worked a day in their life, has no savings, no equity, no property, and therefore has less time to hurry up and save up this vast incredible sum of money it takes to raise children. You shouldn't assume someone has to work until they are 75 if they want to start a family at 55. Maybe they already have a more than comfortable financial cushion, and wish to share it with someone.

Personally, I find it a lot scarier when people who have no full-time jobs and no education start families before they are 21.

As for the energy, lifespan and parental involvement issues, older parents who are family-oriented are much better role models for their children than some of those younger, immature parents who are unfaithful to each other, and shirk the responsibilities that go with parenthood. There are lots of young deadbeats out there, too.

Good points Angela! I think many of the posters are being way too hard on him and judgmental. What happened to giving our hearts to God and letting Him find the one for us? We can get in our own way. When I was in my 50's I was dating a guy that had a 6 year old. My children were grown and I didn't want to raise another child. So, I talked with my priest friend and he simply said, "God will give you the grace if it's meant to be". Well it wasn't meant to be between the two of us but I always remember what my friend told me and it applies to many situations.
Feb 21st 2014 new
I like what you said Laura that God will give us a way if it is meant to be. Everything happens for a reason and in God's time not ours. However, at 55 to have a child for the first time would be difficult. It is hard when one is biologically younger. For me I would be worried about birth defects, the child not having a parent after 20, and my wife becoming a widow. For me I believe that at 55 it is not a good idea. Why not be a father to your wife's children should you marry someone with children? Although you may wish to have your own children you need to find a spouse first. Then it would be a decision that you could both make together. I wish you well in your search and decision.
Feb 21st 2014 new
with God all things are possible, however not too many younger women would want to date an older man, and to think its for the possibility of having children (brood mare?) i always wanted children to late for me, but Ive always wanted to adopt, perhaps that would be a great option for you. keep it all in God's hands.
Feb 21st 2014 new
(quote) Claire-247015 said: Edwin I guess by now,and being single, you might well be extremely financially secure then that would be one challenge out of the way. I have one very close friend whose husband was 54 when their last child was born.Four years later he was dead He left her penniless and possibily of homelessness as she was a SAHM of seven kids. This was his choice as we would not let her work. Why I dont know. I had eight and worked when my youngest was 2. To all intensive purposes he was a very holy man. Formerly a Priest,if you can be formerly a Priest.He was on various commitees at his Parish Church and even was involved in the starting up of a new Catholic High School. He followed all the teachings of Holy Mother Church and yet he had not provided for the possibility of dying, all important,no life insurance, nothing. These are things you need to consider if you are seeking to marry a woman of child bearing age. Remember the Churches teaching on no contraception. Depending on how many years of child bearing she has left you could end up any number of kids. Well I hope this helps and gives you food for thought.
childbearing years still does not guarantee children, nor is the man's fertility guaranteed. many children need parents out there.
Posts 21 - 30 of 188