Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Mar 7th 2014 new
(quote) Nilda-834707 said: Do you think there are more restrictions on what to say today than there was years ago?
Yes, definitely part of it. There was a website on the internet a while back, (something) Watch, where you could report any criticisms of Obama. And than there is the google spying and NSA spying, etc. There is also the extreme PC police at colleges.
Mar 7th 2014 new
you forgot to add that many "good" people left the site during that time also due to the fighting in here.
Mar 9th 2014 new
I find great pleasure in connecting with CM posters, on a regular basis. Good people, kindred spirits, for me, brighten each day and bring a huge smile to my face. We disagree here on many things but we love our Faith.
Mar 9th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: No incentives, Susan. I have been trying to figure out why forum participation has dropped off so much over the last few years. I suspect it is a combination of things.
It is a combination of a number of things, from my reckoning. Several of the long time posters finally met their match and moved on, which is a very good thing... and on the other hand, some maybe aren't really looking for anyone right now, or maybe they decided to look elsewhere. There was the bickering/fueding aspect that was mentioned... and yes, that drove (or scared) some people away from the forums. I'm sure from an admin. perspective that when things heat up too much in the fora, it becomes a big time issue for them to deal with it, especially when it comes down to maybe 1% of the posters, who make up less than 1% of CMers in general, causing a ruckus and tying up a lot of admin's time. (That was about the time when they started finding volunteer moderators to help keep an eye on things).

The other thing that has happened over the last few years is that a lot of the longtime forum posters are in fact still doing a ton of posting, but only on other "social networking" sites, where they have the ability to control (self-administer) the membership of the groups they create (i.e. who they let in), and then self-moderate the discussions. This has also allowed people who are now married to continue on with their friendships that were made here on CM, which is also a very good thing.

Finally, I think newer people coming in seem to be setting time limits as to how long they want to stick around... I see a lot more people come here for about six months, post a bit, and then move on. (Maybe the facebookey thing has helped weed out most of the really long time members here, so that the short-termers have more of a chance to connect with other fairly-newcomers, which also may be a good thing for that group...)
Mar 9th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said:

how do you view a "frequent poster"? do you think that it makes you look like you are trying too hard to find someone? I don't see it that way but have heard that viewpoint from a few of the men here. I was told to lay off from posting everyday, so I did for a while. was I missed? maybe. When I find I have more time to post I will otherwise I'm off doing something else. I am not even looking for anyone to date although it would be nice to go out with a special man who would treat me right. Since I am tied up with babysitting every weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if I meet a man who has his kids with him enjoying a day's outing out at the park.

if you could see my family room right now, you'd laugh. two kids are sleeping on the couch, one in the easy chair with his feet propped up. My daughter is sitting in a chair by the table, I'm in another easy chair with my laptop and the movie Jumanji is playing on a DVD. the cats have gone to bed!!!!!

if the threads get heated, then I get upset. My friend was trying to console me by ease up a bit. He was doing me a favor. I thought I'd throw the frequent poster idea out there to see what was thought about it from people who do post often.

I love posting in the for a even though at times there are disagreements. :)

Mar 9th 2014 new

if the threads get heated, then I get upset. My friend was trying to console me by ease up a bit. He was doing me a favor. I thought I'd throw the frequent poster idea out there to see what was thought about it from people who do post often.

Hi Connie.

I enjoy reading and occasionally posting in the fora. I would not stop doing so just because some would perceive it would shed negative light on oneself. We pay for the service and we are entitled to use all it has to offer. I know a few men who post all the time in the fora, and I have never thought of them as desperate. Actually, I find their posts funny and entertaining which lightens the mood on some of the discussions. Yes, you Paul and Roystan.

Some time ago, I had an experience with a CMer who decided to privately message me and critique my thread. This person (moderator wanna-be) felt she had the right to admonish me, and after I civily responded the way I felt I needed to defend my position she blocked me. I was so ripping mad I stopped reading and posting in the fora. Shortly thereafter, another CMer privately messaged me and asked if I had reported her to admin (I have never reported anyone), which led me to believe there are private little cliques who talk about others when they disagree on certain issues. Sadly, gossip happens everywhere whether at the job, church, or here at CM. My subsciption was coming to an end and I didn't renew. I waited almost a year before joining again. I am back and not as green anymore gangster. I will not let that kind of intimidation stop me from participating in the fora again.

Thanks for the thread, Connie. I wanted to vent this for sooo long... faint

Mar 9th 2014 new
(quote) Nilda-834707 said: Hi Connie.

I enjoy reading and occasionally posting in the fora. I would not stop doing so just because some would perceive it would shed negative light on oneself. We pay for the service and we are entitled to use all it has to offer. I know a few men who post all the time in the fora, and I have never thought of them as desperate. Actually, I find their posts funny and entertaining which lightens the mood on some of the discussions. Yes, you Paul and Roystan.

Some time ago, I had an experience with a CMer who decided to privately message me and critique my thread. This person (moderator wanna-be) felt she had the right to admonish me, and after I civily responded the way I felt I needed to defend my position she blocked me. I was so ripping mad I stopped reading and posting in the fora. Shortly thereafter, another CMer privately messaged me and asked if I had reported her to admin (I have never reported anyone), which led me to believe there are private little cliques who talk about others when they disagree on certain issues. Sadly, gossip happens everywhere whether at the job, church, or here at CM. My subsciption was coming to an end and I didn't renew. I waited almost a year before joining again. I am back and not as green anymore . I will not let that kind of intimidation stop me from participating in the fora again.

Thanks for the thread, Connie. I wanted to vent this for sooo long...

Thank you Nilda for the nice compliment. Generally, I try to be informative and entertaining in the forums. I also love reading Paul and Roy's posts as well. I know what you mean about being critiqued. A very nice lady tried to do that with my profile so instead of fixing it the way she wanted me to, I deleted most of it. LOL She came back with noooo, that's not what I wanted you to do. She finally gave up and just said my profile was great!

I also agree that there are cliques, especially when a post is written concerning politics. If you are not part of the clique on a particular subject, you will find yourself out-casted. If you are strong enough to get through all the harsh comments then you will survive! I know several very nice people who announced their political party during the elections who left after being harassed. I also left for several years myself. Now that I'm back I won't venture into the rooms where it's not lighthearted.

We are all here for the same reasons and that is to find friendship from all the good people we converse with in the forums. with that being said, Happy Posting Everyone!

Mar 9th 2014 new

if the threads get heated, then I get upset. My friend was trying to console me by easing up a bit. He was doing me a favor. I thought I'd throw the frequent poster idea out there to see what was thought about it from people who do post often.

my keyboard sticks so sorry for the typos
Posts 51 - 58 of 58