Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

May 4th 2014 new
Thanks Chelsea for clarifying that for me. :-)
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Albert-146514 said:

Busy at a task when the phone rings , Fr. O'Malley calling---- "Al , the Pope has just ruled that Mary was born without sin, so you must believe and accept this without any doubts or reservations."

"Yes Father, I will now believe that; is there anything else new you want me to believe?"

"Holy Father, now I believe."
-- Bishop Edward Fitzgerald of Little Rock, Arkansas; one of only two bishops at Vatican Council I who had opposed the definition of papal infallibility in the final vote; publicly acknowledging his acceptance of the truth thus defined.www.newadvent.org
May 4th 2014 new
Yes, indeed!
A large percentage of Catholics DO NOT know their religion. They actually have no clue.
If you don't learn it in Catholic school or CCD classes, you learn it in the home. I was fortunate to have learned my Catholic faith primarily in the home from family members who were devout Catholics and kept up with their religion.
It disturbs me to see evidence of this lack in my parish. Who do we blame for this tremendous lack of knowledge? It seems to me that if people were truly interested they would pursue gaining this knowledge on their own. With this modern world and all that is available these days there is absolutely no excuse. But then again, maybe people don't really care.
Shame on all who are guilty!
May 4th 2014 new
(quote) Maryjane-408997 said: Yes, indeed!
A large percentage of Catholics DO NOT know their religion.
This is not news, I know, but at Mass on Saturday evening our priest made a point of telling us "Most Catholics don't know their Scriptures nearly well enough".
By the way, it's neat that this thread has had 210 views given that it was posted under the rubric "Dating & Single Living" :)
May 5th 2014 new
quote) Maryjane-408997 said: Yes, indeed!
This is not news, I know, but at Mass on Saturday evening our priest made a point of telling us "Most Catholics don't know their Scriptures nearly well enough".

Hmmm, how many parishioners has your priest actually taken the time to discuss scripture with? He is making rather a sweeping generalization is he not?

Cheers,

Michael
May 5th 2014 new
(quote) Michael-1071426 said: quote) Maryjane-408997 said: Yes, indeed!

Hmmm, how many parishioners has your priest actually taken the time to discuss scripture with? He is making rather a sweeping generalization is he not?

Cheers,

Michael
Yes he is but I still fear it is a correct sweeping generalization.

I would not have known the Scriptures had I not taken a detour as a Baptist for 20 years. I would not recommend a Catholic doing what I did but God worked miracles and I came out and back into the Catholic Faith in 2001, on Padre Pio's feast day no less. But the detour was unnecessary.
May 5th 2014 new
"If both the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption are obvious and irrefutable truths , why was it nearly 2000 years until they became established-beyond-doubt Church Doctrines?"

Hi Albert. This is an incorrect way to understand papal infallibility. The pope never just declares something new to be infallible out of the blue. Something infallible has always been true, but when it is "declared" infallible, such as through a papal bull or through a Church council, some event in history has required a clarification on Church teaching. There has been some question about some aspect about the teaching requiring it to be stated in no uncertain terms so that everyone is clear where the teaching stands.

A great example of this is the teaching of Mary as Theotokos, the Mother of God or literally God-bearer, at the Council of Trent. Theologians debated the wording and Mary's exact relationship to Jesus before the declaration, which unfortunately allowed many to wander down various paths of heresy - declaring Jesus to be a mere human who God chose in a special way, or God who just chose to look like man but wasn't truly man, etc. etc. Finally, the Council stepped in and declared definitively that Mary was Theotokos, God-bearer, and as such had carried God made man in her womb. Defining Mary's identity clearly also defined Jesus' identity as God made man.

Now, it's not as if this was a new teaching - Scripture clearly demonstrates this to us, especially throughout the Gospel of John. But we know that people like to twist Scripture to say what they like without the Church's guidance. The pope just has an extraspecial role as the bishop of bishops in leading the Church and making sure her teachings are clear and well-defined for the people.
May 5th 2014 new
To the original topic, i find that people often confuse papal infallibility with papal impeccability, an idea that popes are incapable of sin and something we definitely don't teach or believe in. We have had some wonderful, holy men on the Chair of Peter in recent times but even they have their flaws - many of them! That might be why some people at least choose to say "no" to the question.
May 6th 2014 new
Why did it take the Church nearly 2000 years to determine that Mary was born without Original Sin?.
May 6th 2014 new
(quote) Albert-146514 said: Why did it take the Church nearly 2000 years to determine that Mary was born without Original Sin?.
It didn't. You confuse formally declaring with determining.

Posts 11 - 20 of 30