Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

May 8th 2014 new
When I first spoke with my goddaughter (she's 24 yrs old) about trying out dating sites, she asked if I would be open to the idea of a good Christian man who would let me practice my faith, while he practiced his. Tulsa is filled with Protestants, huge mega churches, and a lot of Christians here are anti-Catholic. However, some of the "mainline" Protestant (think Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc) are pretty accepting. So at first, I thought "yes, that would be OK. My kids and I aren't going to change our beliefs, and I've been taking them to Mass on my own anyway, so why not?" That philosophy lasted all of about 2 weeks when I realized that marrying a Catholic is the only marriage I could accept. Ironically, it was someone on a secular dating site that messaged me after a couple of exchanges and said, "I am sorry, but your being Catholic is a problem for me." and I thought, "I am sorry, but your not being Catholic is a problem for me."

I would join a social organization with a purpose that is something other than being single and meeting people but I would not join a singles group. There is a big mega church here that has an excellent widows ministry and even that has made me uncomfortable. I only went to one meeting last December and you should have seen the stares I got and the turned shoulders once the ladies knew I was Catholic. I will say that one good thing came out of that meeting. I discovered the book The Widows' Path which has been excellent. I read it once and now I am reading it again with my Catholic Widow/Widower support group.
May 8th 2014 new

Jack,

Congratulations are in order for your strong conviction about our Catholic faith! We do need more people like you. The Lord bless you richly.

May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: However those who reject or turn away from the Catholic Church without eventually returning won't.

Pretty sure of yourself huhh Jerry?
May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I am considering joining a local singles group for Christian singles of the above 30 age range. My friend who belongs to my neighborhood church, not Catholic, is trying to get one up and running. It is much needed! There are many good people in my town that love God, want to live good lives, are single and would benefit from a group like this! It is difficult to meet others if we don't hang out at the bars, which I and most others who fit this group don't do.
I'm a bit excited about the prospect!
But on the other hand -- do I want to marry outside the faith? How likely is it that somewhere in the group I will meet someone and we fall in love but are different faiths? I went through that once, being married to a Christian Scientist (NOT Scientology) and our hearts never could fully share the same love of God and life because his understanding was so limited and false (CS believes Jesus was just a 'good guy' not God, don't believe in sin or hell, believe that as long as they are not caught doing something then they are not guilty of it, fine with birth control, etc) and I really would love to share fully with a husband rather than have such a dichotomy again.
Would you join a non-Catholic but Christian group? Will it be more like searching on Match or other dating sites where the quality of matches is less likely to result in a good and Godly match, or would you have high hopes?
Rachel, I encourage you to continue in your Catholic faith and to continue in your search for a Catholic soulmate because it will ultimately bring you more happiness and contentment, Our Lord sees your struggles and hears your doubts, but if you live your life according to his teachings, you can always rely upon all of God's Amazing Promises to multiply the joys and divide the sorrows of this life. Just give the discernment process more time and pray to the Blessed Mother for her guidance. theheart
May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-112790 said: Pretty sure of yourself huhh Jerry?
I believe the Catholic Church's teaching on the matter.

May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: However those who reject or turn away from the Catholic Church without eventually returning won't.

Jerry, please read the Apostolic Exhortation, The Joy of the Gospel (Evangelii Gaudium), for I don't believe Pope Francis would agree with you, nor do I. theheart
May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Mary-981059 said:

Jack,

Congratulations are in order for your strong conviction about our Catholic faith! We do need more people like you. The Lord bless you richly.

Thank you for your very kind words.

Please say a prayer for all Catholic parents struggling alone to raise their kids in the Faith.
May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1040810 said: Jerry, please read the Apostolic Exhortation, The Joy of the Gospel (Evangelii Gaudium), for I don't believe Pope Francis would agree with you, nor do I.
I suggest that you: (a) very carefully read the constraints I placed on my statement, and (b) research the concept of extra ecclesiam nulla salus, one of the earliest teachings of the Church, in more depth than a single document. As a starting point, see catholicism.org which provides a synopsis of the history of the teaching, and even this is not complete.

And if you are going to use Pope Francis as a source of authority, please provide what he has actually written or said on the topic, as reported by a reliable source (i.e., not the mainstream media or the National Catholic Reporter (aka Distorter)), not your opinion of what he might think..

May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Andrew-1040810 said: ...please read the Apostolic Exhortation, The Joy of the Gospel (Evangelii Gaudium)....
One may wish also to consult:

en.wikipedia.org

May 9th 2014 new
(quote) Rachel-731570 said: I'm thinking that the group would more for clean, good fun, not especially trying to date each other. I think a nice Catholic-protestant mix could lead to good things between churches and promote understanding, especially of Catholicism for those 'fundamental' types.
I'm sure that there will be pairing up involved -- isn't there usually in co-ed adult groups? But it shouldn't be the main purpose.
I'd like to join for the fun and fellowship and maybe some gentle apologetics, but I really don't want to lose my heart to another non-Catholic. That's really all that holding me back.
I would like to start a Catholic singles group, but I don't know if I'm the one for the job.
Rachel, your title raises the question "Would you join...in hope of finding a match?" Your post resonates differently.

Of you've already been through a marriage, divorce and annulment with a non-supportive spouse, I don't know why you would put yourself in the same situation again. I totally understand the desire for fun and companionship, and as a singles group, there is always the assumption that a date may come out of it. Really think about what you're setting yourself up for.

as far as not being up to starting a group of your own, you've shown us you have the energy and verve of 10 of is mere females. Use that drive to get a few people together doing some of the things you love, bringing prayer and adoration into the mix and you can't go wrong. Let it grow from there.

Jack's post was spot on.

Posts 41 - 50 of 90