Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 20th new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Anyone seen this? It's awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CWkdvRo4Ek

I haven't seen this documentary but I have seen Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead as well as Hungry for a Change. One advocates juicing (FSND) and the other making green smoothies. I actually gave my Breville juicer to my parents because I have a Vitamix and was making smoothies more than juicing. Mostly use organic ingredients for my smoothies unless it's something that is not known for having huge amounts of pesticides.

Curious? I have never been able to come to a decision of which is really the healthiest form of drink - juice or blend whole. Why do you feel juicing is better? Do you do it as a permanent lifestyle or do you just have times where you are "fasting" and giving your body a cleanse?
Jun 20th new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: Does anyone have a favorite brand?
Meg,
If you are going to get into serious juicing, I think the Breville juicer (I think I paid about $250-300 for mine) is what most people recommend.
Jun 20th new
Pete and I went through a phase of juicing, spent a ton of money on the juicer and the fruits and vegetables and it was awful. . . I mean awful. . . anyone who can figure out a way to make it palatable or enjoys it, more power to ya. . . . I couldn't stand it for the two weeks we did it. When I cried Uncle, Pete was a very happy fella.

And, technically consuming any of the fruits or vegetables raw will provide the same nutrients. . .

Not to discourage anyone who wants to try it, hopefully, you will find better combinations. . .
Jun 20th new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: Pete and I went through a phase of juicing, spent a ton of money on the juicer and the fruits and vegetables and it was awful. . . I mean awful. . . anyone who can figure out a way to make it palatable or enjoys it, more power to ya. . . . I couldn't stand it for the two weeks we did it. When I cried Uncle, Pete was a very happy fella.

And, technically consuming any of the fruits or vegetables raw will provide the same nutrients. . .

Not to discourage anyone who wants to try it, hopefully, you will find better combinations. . .
My doctor told me that the stomach does not break down the food as thoroughly as a juicer and so by juicing, we receive more of the nutrition. I have a Vitamix though, so of the pulp taste doesn't bother me, I am achieving the same benefits. Feedback?
Jun 21st new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Hi Lourdes, that's a really good documentary also. I like pineapple, apple & bit of lemon.

You can't beat Wheatgrass though for the health benefits!

The wheatgrass is easy to grow in a pot on your patio and can look nice. You trip the grass with scissors an have it fresh
Jun 21st new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: I'm going to try it.
Meg,
If you have a Vitamix, I make a "green smoothie" with either 8 oz water or coconut milk (you can use almond milk or rice milk too), about half a cup of berries, and a handful or two of kale. Spinich can be used too and it has a milder taste. The berries make the drink look like a berry smoothie and my kids will drink it if they don't see me put the greens in. I also like mango, spinach, and banana (I use only a half or less of the banana).

As for juices, my favorites were Carrot, Carrot/Apple/Celery, and Apple/Celery.

Have you heard of "Sassy Water?" I love drinking it in the summer. I keep one to two quarts of it in my fridge all summer long. I use organic ingredients. Slice up one lemon (rings not wedges), 1/3 to 1/2 a cucumber, 1/2 inch to 1 inch of ginger, and tear up a few mint leaves. Fill the pitcher with filtered water and place in the fridge over night. In the morning you will have the most refreshing water you have ever tasted. And it's great for cleansing. It's more refreshing to me than the ice tea that I drink all summer long. My kids even like it.
Jun 21st new
(quote) Kimberlie-1059215 said: Meg,
If you have a Vitamix, I make a "green smoothie" with either 8 oz water or coconut milk (you can use almond milk or rice milk too), about half a cup of berries, and a handful or two of kale. Spinich can be used too and it has a milder taste. The berries make the drink look like a berry smoothie and my kids will drink it if they don't see me put the greens in. I also like mango, spinach, and banana (I use only a half or less of the banana).

As for juices, my favorites were Carrot, Carrot/Apple/Celery, and Apple/Celery.

Have you heard of "Sassy Water?" I love drinking it in the summer. I keep one to two quarts of it in my fridge all summer long. I use organic ingredients. Slice up one lemon (rings not wedges), 1/3 to 1/2 a cucumber, 1/2 inch to 1 inch of ginger, and tear up a few mint leaves. Fill the pitcher with filtered water and place in the fridge over night. In the morning you will have the most refreshing water you have ever tasted. And it's great for cleansing. It's more refreshing to me than the ice tea that I drink all summer long. My kids even like it.
Thanks, Kimberlie!
Jun 21st new
Thanks for the Thread,a good reminder.I went out and bought some carrotts celery and Kale,and used my Omega Auger Juicer! :)
Jun 21st new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: My doctor told me that the stomach does not break down the food as thoroughly as a juicer and so by juicing, we receive more of the nutrition. I have a Vitamix though, so of the pulp taste doesn't bother me, I am achieving the same benefits. Feedback?
HI Meg,

I could only find one article that wasn't a book on juicing and it is from the Mayo clinic on the topic. Discussion of the topic is missing from pretty much all research journals.

Absorption of nutrients is problematic, especially in our day and time when our microbiomes are not what they used to be. Different components of our intestinal and gut biomes allow the extraction of nutrients for human use, that the human alone cannot process.

A good pro-biotic (which has its own problems like how many live bacteria actually reach the area in the GI tract where they can do their job) hard to measure, but not without merit, is probably more effective for increasing the absorption or usability of different nutrients. Lots of anthropological literature has been devoted to testing what methods of cooking or processing renders the greatest caloric capture of different food stuffs. But, nothing on juicing.

One of the things proponents of juicing suggest is that by removing the bulk fiber consumed by eating the actual fruit and vegetables, absorption is enhanced and swifter. But, removing the fiber also removes the effects of fiber on our digestive systems which is pretty much completely beneficial -- removes excess cholesterol/fats, cleans the sides of the intestines, creates regular stools, helps stabilize blood sugar levels, etc, etc.

www.webmd.com

www.mayoclinic.org

Jun 21st new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: HI Meg,

I could only find one article that wasn't a book on juicing and it is from the Mayo clinic on the topic. Discussion of the topic is missing from pretty much all research journals.

Absorption of nutrients is problematic, especially in our day and time when our microbiomes are not what they used to be. Different components of our intestinal and gut biomes allow the extraction of nutrients for human use, that the human alone cannot process.

A good pro-biotic (which has its own problems like how many live bacteria actually reach the area in the GI tract where they can do their job) hard to measure, but not without merit, is probably more effective for increasing the absorption or usability of different nutrients. Lots of anthropological literature has been devoted to testing what methods of cooking or processing renders the greatest caloric capture of different food stuffs. But, nothing on juicing.

One of the things proponents of juicing suggest is that by removing the bulk fiber consumed by eating the actual fruit and vegetables, absorption is enhanced and swifter. But, removing the fiber also removes the effects of fiber on our digestive systems which is pretty much completely beneficial -- removes excess cholesterol/fats, cleans the sides of the intestines, creates regular stools, helps stabilize blood sugar levels, etc, etc.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/fiber-health-benefits-11/fiber-digestion

http://www.mayoclinic.org/juicing/expert-answers/faq-20058020

So, I am back to the idea of just using the Vita Mix because the taste can be adjusted for different recipes...
Posts 11 - 20 of 87