Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: They profess to be followers of Jesus Christ, yet the adopt policies that accept one of the worst of sins. What is the source of this claimed right to hypocrisy? (Note that I am referring to the policy of the organization, not to the sins of the individual members.)

Are you asking a rhetorical question? Presbyterians obviously believe that they are right, just as Catholics do.

Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Also in Germany churches are taxed and a Catholic can be excommunicated fro non payment.see link.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-19699581
The article makes no mention of churches being taxed; the tax in question is levied against self-proclaimed members of certain religions and is given to the churches by the government.

Also, it appears that the policy is now to deny those who do not pay the tax the sacraments and use of Catholic facilities without formally excommunicating them, as they had been in the past.

Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Devan-877827 said:

Well the reality is probably somewhat more varied than you're suggesting. There's that old adage that "hypocrisy is the tribute paid by vice to virtue." I think, quite frankly, that a lot of dissent with the Catholic Church is HUBRIS.

Followers of wishy washy mainline Protestantism are apparently so repulsed by the sanitized, painfully inoffensive platitudes that they're hearing in Sunday services that it quite frankly sends them running out the door, looking one supposes, for more authentically Christian teaching. Whereas many liberal Catholics can't seem to take that next logical step and cut the cord with the Catholic Church. One perceives that if they really held as authentic their dissent with the Church, they should be so disgusted by Her as to want little or nothing to do with Her.

How can one say the Catholic Church is a sexist, misogynist reactionary old boys club & pedophiliac ring (all manner of venomous libels are hurled at Her), and yet, knock elbows and cut in front of other Mass goers on Sunday in the procession to the Sacrament of COMMUNION (as in, one who is in communion with the Church)?

Dissenting 'Catholics' like yourself talk a big game about not believing in the Real Presence of the Eucharist, but at the same time seem to make the biggest fuss when the Church denies Communion to this or that individual. If the Eucharist isn't the Body of Christ (God forbid), but it's just a wafer, then what's all this progressive hullaballoo about denying communion to remarried divorcees and pro-choice politicians?

One perceives that if "actions speak louder than words," and "hypocrisy is the tribute paid by vice to virtue," dissenting Catholics probably don't take their dissenting beliefs as seriously as they might claim when the pollsters come knocking at their doors. As uncomfortable as it is for dissenters to acknowledge, the Church is still a symbol of moral authority, even to them.

Don't get me wrong, dissenters are all still excommunicated, whatever their reasons for dissenting.

Trust me, if I show this post to any priest I know he will laugh out loud. laughing
Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: The article makes no mention of churches being taxed; the tax in question is levied against self-proclaimed members of certain religions and is given to the churches by the government.

Also, it appears that the policy is now to deny those who do not pay the tax the sacraments and use of Catholic facilities without formally excommunicating them, as they had been in the past.

yes, That is correct I spoke to a lady who left our to parish to live in Germany with her family,I found out that they institute the tax in lieu of tithing, So apparently the State acts as collection taker for the mainline churches.
Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jim-875732 said: Trust me, if I show this post to any priest I know he will laugh out loud.
By the way, Devan, do I understand you to say that I have expressed a belief that Christ is not present in the Eucharist ? That is not only false but I have expressed the contrary view recently.
Jun 21st 2014 new

It is widely believed, or so it is claimed, by people who may or may not have the competence to make such a pronouncement, that the quantitative study of remote linkages in what would come to be known as chaos theory (although, in truth, there are probably many chaos theories), stems from the ancient nose-in-the-tent observation, an observation that might justly be called The Mother of All Nose-in-the-Tent Arguments, that if you give a woman an apple, everything but everything, in a ripple, believe it or not, effect, will turn to custard.

Or something like that.

Jun 21st 2014 new
Just for the record, Devan, Jim has stated in other posts that he believes in the Real Presence of the Eucharist, so your statement is inaccurate. And excommunication is a rather aggressive word. Forum policies do not allow you to question another member's Catholicity.
Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Jim-875732 said: By the way, Devan, do I understand you to say that I have expressed a belief that Christ is not present in the Eucharist ? That is not only false but I have expressed the contrary view recently.

I'm stunned by your intellectual brilliance, Jim. Carol clearly wasn't kidding when she vouched for your learned chops and your educational bonafides. The more debates we have, I'm really compelled by those one line zingers of yours to start reconsidering my adherence to orthodoxy.

You'll notice the sentence was phrased thusly: Dissenting Catholics like yourself... etc, etc. I'll let you figure it out.

Did you know, Jim, that "interviewer bias" is a major methodological/statistical phenomenon, and for instance, Americans deliberately misreport their attendance at religious services?

That and other statistical anomalies are reasons for my inference that claims of disbelief in magisterial teachings are likely more nuanced than you'd think.

Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:

It is widely believed, or so it is claimed, by people who may or may not have the competence to make such a pronouncement, that the quantitative study of remote linkages in what would come to be known as chaos theory (although, in truth, there are probably many chaos theories), stems from the ancient nose-in-the-tent observation, an observation that might justly be called The Mother of All Nose-in-the-Tent Arguments, that if you give a woman an apple, everything but everything, in a ripple, believe it or not, effect, will turn to custard.

Or something like that.

Hi Roy, How are we to know who you are addressing without the benefit of a quote? wave
Jun 21st 2014 new
(quote) Devan-877827 said:

I'm stunned by your intellectual brilliance, Jim. Carol clearly wasn't kidding when she vouched for your learned chops and your educational bonafides. The more debates we have, I'm really compelled by those one line zingers of yours to start reconsidering my adherence to orthodoxy.

You'll notice the sentence was phrased thusly: Dissenting Catholics like yourself... etc, etc. I'll let you figure it out.

Did you know, Jim, that "interviewer bias" is a major methodological/statistical phenomenon, and for instance, Americans deliberately misreport their attendance at religious services?

That and other statistical anomalies are reasons for my inference that claims of disbelief in magisterial teachings are likely more nuanced than you'd think.

Could we agree (doubtful) that disbelief in magesterial teachings among people who continue to call themselves Catholic is a matter of concern to the Church?
Posts 21 - 30 of 69