Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 1st 2014 new
There are definitely Catholics who take Caroline's position, that you believe everything the church teaches or you are not a Catholic. I think our previous archbishop, Chaput, was of that opinion, saying that many people who claim to be Catholics are really heretics, they just don't know it. Chaput is very conservative. I would note that Chaput also said that "some people were not very happy" about Pope Francis's election.

But I don't believe that "believe it all or you're not a Catholic" represents a majority opinion with Catholics overall, or with the majority of the church hierarchy. Certainly Francis has taken a pretty open tone, so I cannot imagine him taking that position. I am one of the people who likes Francis, partly because he does not seem to be taking a hard line.

Richard

Jul 1st 2014 new
My guess is that is not the reason in most cases but it could be. Please explain why you think women should be priests. (Note: You'd be in better standing if you said that priests could marry, fyi.)
Jul 1st 2014 new
(quote) Carolina-1069841 said: >>If you are a Catholic, you accept all Church teachings, if not, you are not a Catholic.
It was so much easier in the first century. You saw Jesus, you heard him preach, you decided to follow him, and that was that. No one came up to you with a shelf-full of Counter-Reformation literature and said "Not so fast--unless you're prepared to subscribe to every article in these books, you can't be a follower. And no skipping over the parts about indulgences, either!"
Jul 1st 2014 new
Except that people would kill you if you announced that you were a follower of Jesus. :-P It took a lot of gumption to say you were a Christian for at least a good 300 years, until Constantine legalized Christianity.

To be very honest, yes, I've said no to matches because the guy on the other end wasn't 7/7, though usually that's in matters of premarital sex or birth control since that's where people usually dissent from Church teachings. I hope it's easy to see why - I'm not willing to submit myself to pressure to sleep with a guy or use birth control later in marriage, especially as I have several health conditions that could be adversely affected by hormonal contraception. I could discuss it with a guy, I could try to evangelize him, but I'm not looking to get into a relationship to evangelize someone. If God calls me to that, that's fine, but it's not what I'm looking to do from the outset.

I believe the Church to be an infallible institution founded by God to guide His people to all truth. And I want to be with someone who shares that same basic assumption and starting point in life. I'm looking for a man to be a spiritual leader to any future family we might have and that would be difficult if we don't share the same basic idea of what the Church is. That's why I'm looking for a 7/7.

That doesn't mean, of course, that you're not a wonderful, intelligent person who won't make for a great husband. But as another poster said, I would examine your reason for dissenting from Church teaching and what you really believe the Church to be. How do those to things meet up with each other? I won't say I understand every position of the Church completely. But where I don't completely understand, I can admit that the Church must have her reasons and open myself up to learning more so that I might understand more completely in the future. Humility combined with trusting my intellect to catch up eventually is a great combination. I just know that if the Church couldn't chase away great men like Thomas Aquinas and Augustine, there's no question I could ask or think of that the Church couldn't answer.
Jul 1st 2014 new
I forgot to add that personally, and this might be the case for other ladies on here, I'm the kind of girl who strongly prefers guys to make the "first move" so to speak, which might be another reason that you haven't gotten many messages. That, to me, is another part of that spiritual leader aspect that I'm looking for. I wouldn't be surprise if there weren't quite a few more out there like me who aren't waiting for you to message them rather than the other way around.
Jul 1st 2014 new
Hi Ben,

As others have noted, there are lots of 7/7 s around here who have not met their match yet either. But many have. I would caution against looking for one singular reason why you have not met your match yet or assuming that it must be this or it must be that. There could be a multitude of different reasons based on the unique patterns of your own life, some within your control and others not.

We are each on our own journey in the faith. I am not an expert and I have not studied theology. I have come across a good explanation of the teaching on holy orders. Just something to read and think about. www.ewtn.com

Best wishes and blessings in your travels!
Jul 1st 2014 new
(quote) Richard-831657 said:
But I don't believe that "believe it all or you're not a Catholic" represents a majority opinion with Catholics overall, or with the majority of the church hierarchy. Certainly Francis has taken a pretty open tone, so I cannot imagine him taking that position. I am one of the people who likes Francis, partly because he does not seem to be taking a hard line.

Richard

I've never liked that saying. IMHO, it's only for God to decide who is Catholic and who is not.
Jul 1st 2014 new
(quote) Ben-1081622 said: I've been on here a little while and I have only had two women respond to messages, both telling me they're not interested (which, I will say, the acknowledgement is still better than silence), and that nobody else who has looked at my profile has ever sent me any communication. They haven't answered my interview questions, haven't sent me an emotigram or anything. I have also noticed that being 7/7 on the questions seems to be the primary thing for many people.

Now, I am 6/7. It just so happens that the one thing I really disagree with in all of Catholic doctrine, the fact that only men can be priests, happens to be one of those seven questions. I agree with everything else: papal infallibility, sanctity of life, the Church beliefs on the Eucharist, contraception, abortion, you name it. Yet I get this feeling that solely for that one question, I may be turning off any chance of ever really getting to know someone on here I may be interested in.

I understand that being 7/7 implies a "stronger" faith than answering "yes" to less than that, but is my answer to one question that really, IMO, doesn't impact a marriage-minded relationship much really that important? Basically, I guess I'm a little concerned that maybe some are looking at the questions and leaving before giving some people (like myself) a chance. Or maybe I'm just not cut out for anyone here.

I'm just starting to get concerned that this isn't the place for me, even though I would like to find someone strong in the Catholic faith as well. That's all.
are you only looking for 7/7s and 6/6s as well? You might be limiting yourself if you are. My advice is this: When you are new, cast a wide net and then throw back the rotten, stinking fish. There are plenty in the sea. So drop your net again. Dive into the fora and just give your opinion. Don't be shy about that.
Jul 1st 2014 new
...Spoken in the spirit of true "Jim irreverence"!
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Jim-875732 said: are you only looking for 7/7s and 6/6s as well? You might be limiting yourself if you are. My advice is this: When you are new, cast a wide net and then throw back the rotten, stinking fish. There are plenty in the sea. So drop your net again. Dive into the fora and just give your opinion. Don't be shy about that.
Instead of Jim sending out "Dear John/Jane" letters, he apparently sends out "Dear Rotten Stinking Fish" letters! laughing laughing . It must be a really bad day for those women on the receiving end of a Rotten Stinking Fish letter.

Ed

Posts 11 - 20 of 55