Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Carolina-1069841 said: Dear Ben,

If you are a Catholic, you accept all Church teachings, if not, you are not a Catholic. You can't pick and choose what suits you the best just because you don't like this or that or don't understand it.
Every Catholic who take their faith seriously should not marry non-Catholics for the sake of their souls and their future children's souls. Non-Catholics includes "Catholics" who don't accept the Church teachings and think they know better than God and the Church.
You're not ready to be married inside the Catholic Church until you accept all teachings. I suggest you take your time to read more about this teaching that bothers you, try to understand it, and even if you still don't - pray to God for the grace to start accepting it. Your soul is in danger and you should tend to it before starting to court.
Ben, let me clarify this answer to you a little: If you were validly baptized in the Church, you're still a Catholic, regardless of whether or not you agree with or obey the Church's teachings. Being a faithful Catholic is a different story however. Whether you are ready or not to be married in the Church is one thing, but to base such judgment solely on your disagreement on that particular Church teaching is a bit, well, judgemental. Carolina herself, for example, would be disqualified to be both a true Catholic and for getting married, based on her own criteria, since she disagrees with important Church's teachings such as the holiness (perhaps even the validity) of our Eucharist. Just sharpen up your attitude and your whole life, and you'll be sure to attract more potential candidates to marriage. Juan Carlos PS. Jesus didn't ordain a single woman priest, nor have the disciples the authority to do it; that's the only reason why nobody else can.
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Ben-1081622 said: I've been on here a little while and I have only had two women respond to messages, both telling me they're not interested (which, I will say, the acknowledgement is still better than silence), and that nobody else who has looked at my profile has ever sent me any communication. They haven't answered my interview questions, haven't sent me an emotigram or anything. I have also noticed that being 7/7 on the questions seems to be the primary thing for many people.

Now, I am 6/7. It just so happens that the one thing I really disagree with in all of Catholic doctrine, the fact that only men can be priests, happens to be one of those seven questions. I agree with everything else: papal infallibility, sanctity of life, the Church beliefs on the Eucharist, contraception, abortion, you name it. Yet I get this feeling that solely for that one question, I may be turning off any chance of ever really getting to know someone on here I may be interested in.

I understand that being 7/7 implies a "stronger" faith than answering "yes" to less than that, but is my answer to one question that really, IMO, doesn't impact a marriage-minded relationship much really that important? Basically, I guess I'm a little concerned that maybe some are looking at the questions and leaving before giving some people (like myself) a chance. Or maybe I'm just not cut out for anyone here.

I'm just starting to get concerned that this isn't the place for me, even though I would like to find someone strong in the Catholic faith as well. That's all.
Could you at least agree that the Latin Rite Catholic Church should be able to do it their way, but appreciate also the way the Eastern Catholic Churches have married priests?
I don't see how that would be a deal breaker, it just sounds to me like a place for discussion. At least you're wrangling with the questions. When I disagree with the Church on something, I just pray, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief."
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Sandra-202758 said: Could you at least agree that the Latin Rite Catholic Church should be able to do it their way, but appreciate also the way the Eastern Catholic Churches have married priests?
I don't see how that would be a deal breaker, it just sounds to me like a place for discussion. At least you're wrangling with the questions. When I disagree with the Church on something, I just pray, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief."
He thinks women should be ordained priests...
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Jason-903264 said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59hZz6U9uZ0

Very good, Jason!
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Jim-875732 said: are you only looking for 7/7s and 6/6s as well? You might be limiting yourself if you are. My advice is this: When you are new, cast a wide net and then throw back the rotten, stinking fish. There are plenty in the sea. So drop your net again. Dive into the fora and just give your opinion. Don't be shy about that.

Be careful of the directions you give when you yourself are lost in the jungle. Or perhaps a better analogy would be: don't go out to sea to fish in a boat with huge holes in the hull, lest you resemble a rotten, stinking fish shortly thereafter.

Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Carolina-1069841 said: You're not ready to be married inside the Catholic Church until you accept all teachings.

Marriage cannot start on a better footing than this!

Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) John-971967 said:

Be careful of the directions you give when you yourself are lost in the jungle. Or perhaps a better analogy would be: don't go out to sea to fish in a boat with huge holes in the hull, lest you resemble a rotten, stinking fish shortly thereafter.

John, John, John. Jim is no longer around to defend himself. And I know that it wasn't your intent to come off sounding like a big fish. But it was his intent to be helpful. Jim is too smart to go out to sea in a damaged boat. Will you please let him off the hook? smile
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: It was so much easier in the first century. You saw Jesus, you heard him preach, you decided to follow him, and that was that. No one came up to you with a shelf-full of Counter-Reformation literature and said "Not so fast--unless you're prepared to subscribe to every article in these books, you can't be a follower. And no skipping over the parts about indulgences, either!"
Brilliant, my friend. You are beginning to catch on to the myth of archaic theologies. wave
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Josephine-586127 said: I've never liked that saying. IMHO, it's only for God to decide who is Catholic and who is not.
Your comment is worthy of repeating, Josephine. smile
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Richard-831657 said: In my experience, the 7/7 folks are less than 50% of the members here. I just did a quick experiment with one of my searches. When I said "no preference" on Faith, I got 7 pages. When I specified 7/7, I got 3 pages, less than 50%. In addition to that, I know that some 7/7 folks are willing to consider people who are not 7/7, as long as they believe most of the 7. I think that the 7/7 folks may be overrepresented on the forums, and some of them are very outspoken, so it is easy for a reader of the forums to think that most members are 7/7, but it is simply untrue.

Personally, I am not 7/7, and am rather flexible, but I might balk at someone who is 2/7. ;-)

While some 7/7 folks may insist on only 7/7 partners, I believe that these folks represent less than 1/3 of the total members. If you are not getting replies, it is not because you are 6/7. I have not looked at your profile, so I have no idea if there is anything else in your profile that could be a problem. Perhaps you should ask a few ladies here to read your profile and give you feedback.

My two cents,
Richard

I'm not going to get into the whole 7/7 issue. Personally, my searches are all set to 7/7 but that's just me. But I was intrigued by your statistics... and I want to offer a critique since I don't think they tell the whole story. What I want to bring up is how other factors play into the amount of 7/7s in the dating pool.

What you said about 7/7 folks being in the minority may be true for your own search criteria, but maybe not for Ben and certainly not for me. I did little experiment with one of my searches. Not changing any other criteria in this particular search, if I change the church teachings to "no preference", I only jump up from 74 results to 77. That's not a very big increase. There are only 3 girls out there worldwide that are being ruled out by the 7/7 filter under that particular search. But then again, I'm looking for girls who list themselves as conservative or very conservative as far as politics goes. I think that may have a large part to do with it as well. In other words, if you're looking for a conservative girl who is not 7/7... then you're probably going to have a hard time. And I have noticed that with some common interests (such as "Lord of the Rings" under one of my searches) conservatives or 7/7 girls tend to make up the majority.

So again... it depends on what you're searching for. I assume a search with an emphasis on liberal politics might have 7/7 girls in the minority.
Posts 21 - 30 of 55