Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 3rd new
I would not recommend 'running' from it. Counter it with/take the opportunity to meditate on what the Church teaches(Catechism) about human sexuality and it's appropriate expression(man and woman, in Marriage, open to life.). Yes, you will likely get tired but you are not alone.
Also, allow the witness of Jesus and Mary to tell you something about the ultimate value of sexual activity:
Were Jesus and Mary fully human like us? Yes
Were Jesus and Mary fulfilled in their humanity? Yes
Were Jesus and Mary virgins? Yes
Did they ever engage in ANY willed sexual activity? No(This is a reasonable assertion given that Jesus was never Married and Mary was ever virgin. The Church teaches that masturbation is a sin and so Jesus and Mary would not have done this either.).
Embrace the reality that willed sexual activity is not necessary for human fulfillment. I am not saying that it is a bad thing but ,rather, according to the witness of Christ and His mother, it is not only not the best of human experience, it is not even necessary for human fulfilment. Our sexual desires, at times, may be the most prevalent and strongest of our passions but that does not mean that sexual activity is the best thing or even a necessary thing. Remember, there is concupiscence. Our passions can be disordered. A drug addict, for example, may observe that the strongest, most prevalent passion within them is for using cocaine but it is reasonable, in the light of Revelation, to say that it(using cocaine) is not only not the best thing, but it is not even a necessary thing. Let's let Revelation and reason, and not our passions, be our default/primary guide to making decisions.
Jul 3rd new
Well said, Eric. I agree with your whole post. I'd add that sublimation is a powerful secret of creativity. Many great artists and writers, as well as holy people, channeled that urge into their life's work. His biographers speculate it was the key to Beethoven's prodigious and passionate compositions; anyone familiar with his sonatas for strings feels what kind of energy it's expressing. And those grand finales of his symphonies...I mean, you don't need to be a professor of music to understand the parallels!

Few of us will be Beethoven, or want to be. If a life of sublimation were a goal to the people on this website, they would t be looking for marriage and its delights. Yet Eric's point that a fulfilling life is quite possible -- and that certain lives of purity and purpose may well have been dissipated had the person expressed his or her sexuality in the usual ways --is valid.

On a final note, a woman I studied the bible with once suggested that the "thorn in the flesh" that St Paul mentions in 2Col 12:7 was his concupiscence in this area, which plagued him all his life. Whatever it was, he kept offering it up...it's incredibly frustrating to be so very human with all that entails, and only one legitimate outlet for it. But the longing for it is what brings men and women together against many obstacles ... And I'm goi g to trust the Maker of those longings to bring me an outlet in due time...

Jul 3rd new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: your humor is Wonderful clair. i didn't know you had it in you. i'd rather swim in a cold pool which after the first few minutes becomes warm...makes you sleep like a baby
There is Connie's illogic on display! "Sleep like a baby?" They wake every two hours crying for food or a change! Connie, do you need a change?

irked Where'd the baby come from BTW. I thought this thread was about avoiding that rolling eyes
Jul 3rd new
(quote) Clair-6292 said: There is Connie's illogic on display! "Sleep like a baby?" They wake every two hours crying for food or a change! Connie, do you need a change?
Where'd the baby come from BTW. I thought this thread was about avoiding that
clair is a comedian wave violin
Jul 3rd new
I watch Lawrence Welk re-runs
Jul 4th new
Think ahead. Do you really want to confess THIS? Works for me.
Jul 4th new
(quote) Vonnie-1082837 said: Just curious.
There's one week period each month that is especially difficult for me.

I received great advice from a priest once that works very well for me. When I am tempted I repeat, "Demon of lust, I bind you and cast you at the feet of Jesus" until the urge or thoughts subside. On occasion I'll offer prayers like, "Lord, I give to you my whole self, even my sexuality, and I ask you to help safeguard my chastity" or I'll ask the intercession of the saints (especially Saint Michael and Mary).

My priest said he uses that prayer formula for all vices. For example, if he is feeling particularly prideful, he might pray, "demon of pride, I bind you and cast you at the feet of Jesus" and then pray for an increase in the corresponding virtue (charity).

Jul 4th new
smile That works for me on occasion, too!
Jul 4th new
(quote) Eric-414998 said: I would not recommend 'running' from it.
Depending on the circumstances, running from the temptation may be exactly the right thing to do.

It is not uncommon for sexual temptations to arise due to circumstances that (a) we willfully place ourselves in, (b) knowing it is likely temptations will arise from those circumstances, (c) without any just need to be in those circumstances.

Something to consider: intentionally and knowingly placing ourself in the near occasion of grave sin without just cause is itself a grave sin. If you know from experience that looking at the SI swimsuit issue is very likely to tempt you to commit a sexual sin (be it evoking fantasies or commuting a physical act) and you chose to look at the magazine anyway, that in itself is a sin, hence it is something we should not do -- or we should run away from it, if you will. (N.B. This does not necessarily apply to the letter carrier who is exposed to this material in the course of his job, although if it is a common problem or if he is unable to resist the temptations than he would be morally obligated to find another job).

Jul 4th new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Depending on the circumstances, running from the temptation may be exactly the right thing to do.

It is not uncommon for sexual temptations to arise due to circumstances that (a) we willfully place ourselves in, (b) knowing it is likely temptations will arise from those circumstances, (c) without any just need to be in those circumstances.

Something to consider: intentionally and knowingly placing ourself in the near occasion of grave sin without just cause is itself a grave sin. If you know from experience that looking at the SI swimsuit issue is very likely to tempt you to commit a sexual sin (be it evoking fantasies or commuting a physical act) and you chose to look at the magazine anyway, that in itself is a sin, hence it is something we should not do -- or we should run away from it, if you will. (N.B. This does not necessarily apply to the letter carrier who is exposed to this material in the course of his job, although if it is a common problem or if he is unable to resist the temptations than he would be morally obligated to find another job).

Yes, good point! We need to avoid the near occasion of sin! With my post, I was thinking of those thoughts and passions that just come 'out of the blue' while we are going about our day. But you make a valid point that we should try and avoid situations that seem to put us is a passion, unless we have a proportionately good reason to be in those situations.
Posts 41 - 50 of 92