Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 5th 2014 new
I guess this depends on the individual person. I'm a midget myself hehe...so I generally like if a guy is taller than me at least by a few inches! :) wave
Jul 5th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: But the overwhelming majority of people DO let it matter, very much. Height suggests power and command and, simply because most men are taller than most women, registers in people's minds as a secondary sexual characteristic of men. I know a law firm that only hires tall men (or women of any height) for courtroom work--their height intimidates shorter counsel and impresses juries and, presumably, judges. Commercial airline pilots tend to be tall -- it inspires confidence in the passangers. CEOs are disproportionately chosen from among the tall, and there is social-science research suggesting that, certainly for males, every extra inch of height adds x dollars to one's income. One can go on and on. It's reasonable for women to prefer tall men because this increases the chances that their children will also be tall and to enjoy all the social and economic advantages that tend to go with that.

All that said, rules admit of exceptions, and it's not too surprising that, on rare occasions, the man who stands five-foot-six is happily married to the woman who's five-foot-nine. I'm just saying that there are good reasons why such matches are rare. Personally, while I can appreciate the beauty of a tall woman, my hormones simply shut down or go into hiding in the presence of one.

This is very interesting-it's like marketing: attempting to make an item appear better, more powerful, and/or more desirable than an otherwise similar product while attempting to gain trust from the consumer that the item is indeed, better, more powerful and more desirable.

Being a short woman is a real drag at times:

Petite size pants and long sleeve shirts are often too long for me and I still have shorten the hems a little. My small and narrow feet are hard to fit for dress shoes as the heels of the shoes flip off my feet; even my sensible pumps I wear to the office are "flip flops" because the heels make the flipping noise when I walk around the office. However, I am able to wear little girl's shoes-size 4!

I am also unable to write on our white boards starting at the top of the board because I can't reach the top. If someone taller than I writes a message on it at the top and I need to erase it to update the board, I either have to make several jumps-and-reaches with the eraser or use a small stool to help me reach the message.

Reaching items on the top shelf at the grocery store is difficult if the item is pushed to the back of the shelf-I either grab an item that is long to poke at the item on the high shelf and make it fall to the floor, use a lowest shelf as a step to lift me up or ask someone to help me to get it.

Jul 5th 2014 new
I am 5'8, which is on the taller side for women. My whole family is tall, and I do prefer tall(er) men. Does not have to be 6 foot or above, but at least 1 or 2 inches taller. Everyone is different, and everyone has their personal preference.
Jul 5th 2014 new
Given the fact that I'm only 5' ft. it's not an issue for me as almost everyone is taller than I am. tongue
Jul 5th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: But the overwhelming majority of people DO let it matter, very much. Height suggests power and command and, simply because most men are taller than most women, registers in people's minds as a secondary sexual characteristic of men. I know a law firm that only hires tall men (or women of any height) for courtroom work--their height intimidates shorter counsel and impresses juries and, presumably, judges. Commercial airline pilots tend to be tall -- it inspires confidence in the passangers. CEOs are disproportionately chosen from among the tall, and there is social-science research suggesting that, certainly for males, every extra inch of height adds x dollars to one's income. One can go on and on. It's reasonable for women to prefer tall men because this increases the chances that their children will also be tall and to enjoy all the social and economic advantages that tend to go with that.

All that said, rules admit of exceptions, and it's not too surprising that, on rare occasions, the man who stands five-foot-six is happily married to the woman who's five-foot-nine. I'm just saying that there are good reasons why such matches are rare. Personally, while I can appreciate the beauty of a tall woman, my hormones simply shut down or go into hiding in the presence of one.

Yes, Paul, there are studies that indicate that height - along with weight and attractiveness - are factors in dating and mating. Along with the message that life is unfair. You didn't know that the studies were skewed and are promulgated by drug companies to sell growth hormones, weight loss products, and health/beauty aids? wink

Jul 5th 2014 new
(quote) Linda-624584 said: Given the fact that I'm only 5' ft. it's not an issue for me as almost everyone is taller than I am.

wave Hi Linda!

Sometimes there are situations where I have to describe a person's appearance asking "Have you seen so-and-so..." ...and then begin to describe the person. Often times I want to use the word tall in the description and I catch myself before I do because nearly everyone is tall for me tongue

Jul 5th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said:

Yes, Paul, there are studies that indicate that height - along with weight and attractiveness - are factors in dating and mating. Along with the message that life is unfair. You didn't know that the studies were skewed and are promulgated by drug companies to sell growth hormones, weight loss products, and health/beauty aids?

If there's a pill that will make me six feet tall, I'm in! :)
Jul 5th 2014 new

Be proud your small environmental imprint, Nessa. Don't you know that Short is the new "Green"? wave

Jul 5th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: If there's a pill that will make me six feet tall, I'm in! :)

You made out very well on the normal curve when it comes to the distribution of intelligence. Albeit you would have preferred height as well. Would you be still be willing to take the pill if it decreased your level of intellectual functioning? scratchchin

Jul 5th 2014 new
If she doesn't give u a chance she is not the one for you.
Posts 11 - 20 of 160