Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Jul 6th new

GINNY!! YOU'RE BACK!!!

balloon biggrin party Wolf Whistle

wave
Jul 6th new
Great thread Marge! Edmond Oklahoma city parade. Small town Americana then. Picnic is the Legions park, followed by the parade complete with trucks and horses, the high school band and Pep club and the High School- Yearbook/Newspaper float. Which was my VW bug. Haha. Thanks for the memory. Karen
Jul 6th new
Great walk down memory lane. I was living in Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan and very pregnant with my 2nd daughter, Julie who was born, 10 lbs. 1/2 oz. on my mom's birthday, August 2. It was also one of the hottest summers for Michigan.
Jul 6th new
I was married and living in Pine Island Ridge in a beautiful condo. My husband and I were either with my family or with friends watching fireworks. I really don't recall the exact details of that evening that long ago but I'm sure there were fireworks involved.
Jul 6th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: July 4th 1976, I was very pregnant with my second child, very uncomfortably hot and entertaining my then-in-laws at Fort Wadsworth, NY. We were trying to watch the Tall Ships as they passed beneath the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge. The ships were great, but I nearly had heat stroke by the time we headed back to our military housing at Fort Hamilton.

I was on a 44 foot, Luders' yawl, with blue and gold striped spinnaker, gybing up the Hudson River as part of that parade with three other Naval Academy yawls. We had sailed them out from Annapolis to Bermuda to meet the Tall Ships, then raced with them (in class B-II) to Newport, Rhode Island where there were parties. Then we sailed down to New York for the Bicentennial Parade. There was a tickertape parade for us later through the streets of Manhattan. Then that night, it was the fitrst time I remember fireworks timed to music on the radio. I think the fireworks lasted for an hour, and we had a grandstand seat on our boats. The grand finally was the 1812 Overture of Tchaikovsky. Fantastic! One of the best memories of my life. And, I was only 19. Wow.
Jul 6th new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

I'm talking about July 4, 1976. What do you remember? Where were you, and with whom?

I was in Paris, France, with two of my sisters.

I was with my family on a vacation to Massachusetts. We visited Lexington, Concord, then went to visit with my aunt and uncle in Lowell. We went into Boston one day and walked "the Freedom Trail." I was going into 7th grade.
Jul 7th new
At a concert in Buffalo NY....Neil Young and Graham Nash. I can still remember old Neil saying happy bicentennial with that twangy voice of his.
Jul 7th new
(quote) Gerald-283546 said: I was on a 44 foot, Luders' yawl, with blue and gold striped spinnaker, gybing up the Hudson River as part of that parade with three other Naval Academy yawls. We had sailed them out from Annapolis to Bermuda to meet the Tall Ships, then raced with them (in class B-II) to Newport, Rhode Island where there were parties. Then we sailed down to New York for the Bicentennial Parade. There was a tickertape parade for us later through the streets of Manhattan. Then that night, it was the fitrst time I remember fireworks timed to music on the radio. I think the fireworks lasted for an hour, and we had a grandstand seat on our boats. The grand finally was the 1812 Overture of Tchaikovsky. Fantastic! One of the best memories of my life. And, I was only 19. Wow.
Very nice! Must have been hard sailing though. I remember private boats swarming all over the place. Not all of them were being handled with skill let alone courtesy for the official sailing participants.
Have you seen this website about the Luders?
www.navypaxsail.com

Jul 7th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Very nice! Must have been hard sailing though. I remember private boats swarming all over the place. Not all of them were being handled with skill let alone courtesy for the official sailing participants.
Have you seen this website about the Luders?
http://www.navypaxsail.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=873452&module_id=69662

Hah! You are right, Virginia; it was a bit of pandemonium that day, but all in good spirit. Our boats were made to bounce off the seawall, so we weren't too worried during the parade. However, after the fireworks, it was a bit scary. But, the real excitement was at the start of the race from Hamilton, Bermuda, when two of the three masted topsail schooners crossed bows, a topmast came down from over a hundred feet in the air and at least one hand was fished out of the water, thankfully alive. We were not a hundred yards away from the action at the collision.

Thanks for the PAX River website. Good to see where all those old, classic yawls are. Mine was FLIRT, NA 9. I still have the certificate for the Operation Sail Parade, listing me a crew of Flirt. The original, wooden Flirt is indeed here in San Diego at my yacht club where a talented marine carpenter has refitted her close to new and she does a great honor to Bill Luders. While a Mid, I also sailed on Swift and a few of the others. My era was that of the fiberglass boats, alas.

Jul 8th new
(quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Hah! You are right, Virginia; it was a bit of pandemonium that day, but all in good spirit. Our boats were made to bounce off the seawall, so we weren't too worried during the parade. However, after the fireworks, it was a bit scary. But, the real excitement was at the start of the race from Hamilton, Bermuda, when two of the three masted topsail schooners crossed bows, a topmast came down from over a hundred feet in the air and at least one hand was fished out of the water, thankfully alive. We were not a hundred yards away from the action at the collision.

Thanks for the PAX River website. Good to see where all those old, classic yawls are. Mine was FLIRT, NA 9. I still have the certificate for the Operation Sail Parade, listing me a crew of Flirt. The original, wooden Flirt is indeed here in San Diego at my yacht club where a talented marine carpenter has refitted her close to new and she does a great honor to Bill Luders. While a Mid, I also sailed on Swift and a few of the others. My era was that of the fiberglass boats, alas.

FLIRT ? How apropos!
Seriously though, don't regret the glass boats. What they lack compared to the romance of wooden vessels, they more than make up for in reduced maintenance. I sailed with the Sea Scout Ship 303 LOTUS on a 1917 gaff-rigged schooner. Replacing planks was a bear!! And while any boat can eat your life, keeping LOTUS afloat took up several people's lives.
Don't get me wrong, I love that boat, and there's nothing like the smell of Downeast mix to start your day, but it took all the time between OP SAIL 76 and 86 to get her ready for the trip to NYC. We mostly kept her on Lake Ontario & the St Lawrence. Took her through the Welland Canal once and back to Lake Erie where she started (built in Rocky River, OH).
Here's a link to the only slightly apocryphal Wiki on LOTUS.
en.wikipedia.org
We now return you to the actual topic of this thread, Where were you on the Bicentennial?

Posts 11 - 20 of 49