Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

70-to-80% of our immune system is from a healthy gut w/ lots of good bacteria.

So ... to be healthy pursuing a Potential, what's the best way to ingest probiotics?

Should it be daily 2-, 5-, 20-billon organisms? The source being Live and active yogurt cultures, sauerkraut, pickles, miso soup, kimchee, supplements?

Anyone w/ probiotic knowledge, please share. Thank you.
Jul 15th 2014 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: 70-to-80% of our immune system is from a healthy gut w/ lots of good bacteria.

So ... to be healthy pursuing a Potential, what's the best way to ingest probiotics?

Should it be daily 2-, 5-, 20-billon organisms? The source being Live and active yogurt cultures, sauerkraut, pickles, miso soup, kimchee, supplements?

Anyone w/ probiotic knowledge, please share. Thank you.
One good resource is Dr. Andrew Weil on the web. He is very credible and mentions probiotics in his online newsletters.
Jul 17th 2014 new
(quote) Kathy-1068357 said: One good resource is Dr. Andrew Weil on the web. He is very credible and mentions probiotics in his online newsletters.
Thank you. Dr. Andrew Weil is highly respected, and I read his thoughts about probiotics.

CMers ... certainly there are some of you who can offer your thoughts on effective ways to consume probiotics?
Jul 18th 2014 new

When I needed to take some antibiotics, the pharmacist suggested that I take the probiotics 30 minutes before I ate anything. I took them first thing in the morning before breakfast, when there was no food in my stomach. Hope this helps. wink

Peace and prayers,

Shirley

Jul 18th 2014 new
I believe in eating healthy, because it affects your overall health, your skin, and your disposition. I eat plain nonfat Greek yogurt 3 times a day, other nonfat dairy, skim milk, non-starchy veggies, most fruits, Ezekial bread, eggs, oat bran, and lean protein. I take a multi vitamin, calcium, vitamin D and resveratrol daily. I haven't had a cold since I was 21. I truly believe we are what we eat. The probiotics in yogurt are very good for you, and 2 servings a day are probably sufficient. But the sugar that's added is not good, in my opinion. 40 grams of sugar in a flavored cup = 10 teaspoons of sugar so I only eat the unflavored kind. Hope this info helps you!
Jul 18th 2014 new
(quote) Bonnie-1074100 said: I believe in eating healthy, because it affects your overall health, your skin, and your disposition. I eat plain nonfat Greek yogurt 3 times a day, other nonfat dairy, skim milk, non-starchy veggies, most fruits, Ezekial bread, eggs, oat bran, and lean protein. I take a multi vitamin, calcium, vitamin D and resveratrol daily. I haven't had a cold since I was 21. I truly believe we are what we eat. The probiotics in yogurt are very good for you, and 2 servings a day are probably sufficient. But the sugar that's added is not good, in my opinion. 40 grams of sugar in a flavored cup = 10 teaspoons of sugar so I only eat the unflavored kind. Hope this info helps you!
I'm thinking of taking 10 probiotic organisms w/ 20-billion live cultures, and maybe only one a day. I take 2-billion a day now. The 7 other supplements I take are ubiquinol, K2, B-12, fish oil, D3, multi-vitamin, and astaxanthin. I eat from www.drfuhrman.com Dr. David Perlmutter also has excellent nutrition thoughts.
Jul 19th 2014 new
(quote) Bonnie-1074100 said: ... other nonfat dairy, skim milk, non-starchy veggies, most fruits, Ezekial bread, eggs, oat bran, and lean protein. I take a multi vitamin, calcium, vitamin D and resveratrol daily.
There's some current medical thinking that low-fat is bad, and saturated fat will not cause artery disease. I'm studying that and seeing it may have merit.

Reservatrol is in grapes and peanuts, among other foods.
Jul 19th 2014 new
Thank you Shirley. Antibiotics attacks all bacteria, even good ones. If taking antibiotics, it appears re-populating bacteria is very important.
Posts 1 - 8 of 8