Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 16th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: For me, I'll know he's too young for me if I spend a romantic dinner cutting up his food for him. And I'll know he's too old for me if I spend a romantic dinner needing to cut up his food for him.

Just order puree ... no problem.
Jul 17th new
(quote) Linda-624584 said: Guess we both have issues.
guess you both have a common denominator/compatible i may say soooo....
Jul 17th new
(quote) Kimberlie-1059215 said: I would actually consider dating someone up to 10 years younger to 10 years older. Younger because the truth is I think once you reach 40, the difference between 40 and 50 is not that noticeable. Much older than 60 and it gets awkward because my parents are just 69 yrs old. I was born to them when they were just barely 19 years old. So it would seem strange to date someone 15 years my senior because then they would be more like contemporaries with my dad and that just seems, well, awkward.
Talk about awkward, my oldest stepdaughter is two years younger than I! There is a funny story there. I met my wife at a bar, and got her number. When I called her, her oldest answered the phone. My wife said that I asked her who answered the phone, she said that it was her daughter, there was a long pause, and then I asked her out to dinner.

We just kind of got used to the idea that I was basically the same age as most of her children. I don't imagine that too many people have a stepchild that close to them in age.

Jul 17th new
I'm pretty comfortable if the guy is 3 or 4 years younger or within ten years of my age the other way. I long distance dated a guy who was 16 years older than me for about half a year, but the age difference made me pretty uncomfortable and my mother cried when she found out. eyepopping It didn't end because of the latter thing though, but I have to admit there is something that feels odd about dating someone who is closer to your mother's age than to your own.
Jul 17th new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: I hardly noticed the age difference when I dated the much younger guy. Probably because he kept me laughing.He had a hobby of civil war reenacting which I also loved once I got into it so that alone kept us together. we'd do silly things too. Like the time we rode around looking at Christmas Displays. There were snowmen in the front yard of this house. Both of us reenacted the way the snowman was standing, which was very funny to us at the time. (acting childish and being able to laugh at ourselves).
The drawback to that was as I crept up in age, it almost seemed like he never had a birthday. He started making comments on my birthdays like, How OLD are you now? I reacted like that was an insult. He kept referring to me as his mother's age by then. yeah, we broke up soon after all of that started. no one likes to be insulted, even if it was done in fun.
I might add that was his personality. He wasn't a mean person and now would feel bad he even said that to me.
Jul 17th new
Wow, this thread should be titled Mathe-mate-ics! graduate tongue
Jul 17th new
(quote) Russ-959222 said: Wow, this thread should be titled Mathe-mate-ics!
that would have summed it up!
Jul 17th new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: Just order puree ... no problem.
laughing
Jul 17th new
We have been talking about chronological age so far, Here is a test to determine your mental age,Says I am 46.

mymentalage.com

Jul 17th new
(quote) Richard-831657 said: Paul is bringing up a well known situation, which is the famous, rich and powerful with much younger spouses. For example, Alan Greenspan is married to an NBC reporter twenty years younger than he is. Donald Trump is married to a model 24 years younger than he is. Joan Collins' husband is 32 years younger than he is.

Whether either party to these December-May marriages is showing good judgement is a separate question. ;-) Certainly some of these people have been married several times. Joan Collins is on her fifth husband.

I have been toying with writing about marriage from the standpoint of an economist (which I am not). The idea is that everybody has a "market value" not necessarily in terms of money, but in terms of youth and attractiveness, and yes, wealth. If you approach someone who is much younger or more attractive than you are, you are not likely to be successful. Certainly we hear women complain that the men who contact them are ten or fifteen or even twenty years older than they are.

Those of you who think that social study statistics are fascinating may want to look at this page. OK cupid compiled some very interesting statistics relative to who people contact, in terms of age.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/02/22/ok-cupid-data-on-sex-desirability-and-age/

I had a personal reminder of the dating market situation. I teach the homeless, and occasionally I am befriended by one of them. One man said that his homelessness resulted from a kind of crazy lady he was with. I suggested that he look for a better class of women. He pointed out that women with anything going for them are not going to be interested in someone without money. From his standpoint, his lack of money meant that he was stuck with bottom of the barrel women, including crazy women.

Is any of this fair, just, or reasonable? Of course not, but that does not mean that it is not happening.

Richard

I look forward to reading your book. I find this phenomenon fascinating as well. When men are younger, because of economics (unless they have inherited a fortune), they have a more difficult time getting the attention of the most attractive women. As they age and their income increases, they find themselves in a perplexing situation. All of a sudden young attractive women are now pursuing them and they can't quite figure out what to do about it, especially since they are now married to "the wife of their youth" who is no longer as physically attractive as the young women pursuing them. Of course deep down they know these women are only after their six figure salary but they just can't seem to walk away from them because being seen in public with these attractive women boosts their ego beyond anything they ever imagined.
Why do you think Donald Trump, Alan Greenspan, and Larry King are married to these young attractive women? Of course the answer is simple: ego. Why do you think these young attractive women are married to these old goats? Of course the answer is simple: money.
Posts 41 - 50 of 106