Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Aug 15th new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: You are correct, Decorum and civility are archaic concepts in today's society.
I surely hope that the tide swings back, or civilization as I know it, is doomed. wave
Aug 15th new
(quote) Sean-693950 said:

My impression from the link is that the blogger didn't mean to downplay the seriousness of depression or indicate that suicide is a perfectly free choice, but using words like "choice" or "decision" in this context is problematic, and the blog post's title is worse than problematic. I lived with my father for a few months before he shot himself, and found him still alive a few minutes later on getting home from work, and finally saw him die in a hospital about two days later. It was five years ago the week before last, and is still a heavy cross to bear. I've sometimes called the experience "the head of Medusa," because to see it is like death, and it burns its image perfectly and permanently into any surface. Of course, over those few months it had become clear that he was very far gone and, in effect, not the same person. Anyway, one sometimes hears the metaphor that suicide is often something like leaping to one's death from a burning building, and I think that is the kind of "choice" it is, at least in many or most cases, even when the suicidal ideation has been a long process and become an unstoppable drive, and the person has made the rounds of his/her life saying goodbyes and putting things in order. It's not just a perverse rejection of life, the goodness of life, the love of God, etc. Someone in a diseased or impaired mental state does not make choices in the sense that they would in a normal state.

Sean:

Thank you so much for sharing that experience with us.

Hopefully we can all learn to be less judgmental. People throw around the term 'mortal sin' like it is confetti.

On an individual basis no human being knows what an actual mortal sin is because of the complexities of life.

We all need to trust in Gods compassion and trust that HE is infinitely compassionate and forgiving.And that it grieves Him to see us suffer.

PS--very very good and important metaphor you used.

Aug 15th new
(quote) Tom-112790 said:

Sean:

Hopefully we can all learn to be less judgmental. People throw around the term 'mortal sin' like it is confetti.

On an individual basis no human being knows what an actual mortal sin is because of the complexities of life.

We all need to trust in Gods compassion and trust that HE is infinitely compassionate and forgiving.And that it grieves Him to see us suffer.

Well said, Tom. It hurts me to hear about people believing that God is punishing, spiteful, and rule-obsessed.
Aug 15th new
As Catholics, which Robin was not, we may all at the moment of our death, drawing our last breath, make a perfect act of contrition. Robin maybe cried out to God with his last breath. We just do not know. To commit a mortal sin, it is my understand that their are certain conditions. Someone more knowledgeable than me might post them. If he wasn't "religious" then intent to offend God might not have even been a consideration. just my 2 cent worth.
Aug 16th new
(quote) Claire-247015 said: As Catholics, which Robin was not, we may all at the moment of our death, drawing our last breath, make a perfect act of contrition. Robin maybe cried out to God with his last breath. We just do not know. To commit a mortal sin, it is my understand that their are certain conditions. Someone more knowledgeable than me might post them. If he wasn't "religious" then intent to offend God might not have even been a consideration. just my 2 cent worth.
Yes, that last split second of life affords one last decision to choose... theheart rose heart
Aug 16th new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said:

Yes, Carol. There are several other terms being used besides committed suicide.

Died by suicide

Suicided

Took their own life

Completed suicide, although some say this is redundant.

Died by the suicide act.

"Took his own life" or "Took her own life" have the advantage of being good English and also precise; to me, anyway, the others seem very clumsy, and 'suicided' always struck me as facetious, like 'defenestrated'. I suppose 'committed suicide' reflects not only social disapproval but also the long-standing illegality of suicide.
Aug 16th new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: "Took his own life" or "Took her own life" have the advantage of being good English and also precise; to me, anyway, the others seem very clumsy, and 'suicided' always struck me as facetious, like 'defenestrated'. I suppose 'committed suicide' reflects not only social disapproval but also the long-standing illegality of suicide.
"Committed suicide" suggests the implication of choice - as opposed to what the psychological community now ethically understands - against shame and stigma.
Aug 16th new
(quote) Tom-112790 said:

Sean:

Hey, no problem, and thanks for reading. Oddly enough, all the talk going on since Robin Williams' tragic death has been a boon to me. Having seen my father's self-inflicted death up close and personal is something I have to live with all the time, with all its image, sounds, smells, etc, and for everyone to be suddenly talking about these things comes as kind of a relief. Normally, the annual three-day "death-iversary" from 29-31 July is like a lonely personal "anti-Triduum:" no resurrection, just horror and death, a sinister nightmare, the head of Medusa that turns a man to stone. It's a blessing to have the issue right out in the open where everyone has to look upon it, confront it, deal with it.
Aug 16th new
Perhaps people are over thinking the bedroom thing and since we don't know we are all making assumptions. So I will make a nice assumption. Perhaps Robin Williams was found in another bedroom because he chose to die in a different room than the one his wife was sleeping in.

May God grant him mercy and peace.

Aug 16th new
(quote) Sean-693950 said: Hey, no problem, and thanks for reading. Oddly enough, all the talk going on since Robin Williams' tragic death has been a boon to me. Having seen my father's self-inflicted death up close and personal is something I have to live with all the time, with all its image, sounds, smells, etc, and for everyone to be suddenly talking about these things comes as kind of a relief. Normally, the annual three-day "death-iversary" from 29-31 July is like a lonely personal "anti-Triduum:" no resurrection, just horror and death, a sinister nightmare, the head of Medusa that turns a man to stone. It's a blessing to have the issue right out in the open where everyone has to look upon it, confront it, deal with it.
How vivid a witness you are, Sean. Death by suicide is so stigmatized and misunderstood, much less the way it haunts its survivors. ashamed
Posts 41 - 50 of 74