Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

APPROVAL OF HIS EMINENCE THE CARDINAL PATRIARCH OF LISBON

Cardinal's Palace, Lisbon March 4, 1936

We approve and recommend with all our heart the beautiful little book Read Me or Rue It by E. D. M. [These initials used by Fr. O'Sullivan stand for Engant de Marie, that is, "Child of Mary" Ed.]

Although small, it is destined to do great good among Catholics, many of whom are incredibly ignorant of the great doctrine of Purgatory. As a consequence, they do little or nothing to avoid it themselves and little to help the Poor Souls who are suffering there so intensely, waiting for the Masses and prayers which should be offered for them.

It is our earnest desire that every Catholic should read this little book and spread it about as widely as possible.

Chapter 1 : What is Purgatory ?
Chapter 2 : Can all this be true ?
Chapter 3 : How long do souls remain in Purgatory ?
Chapter 4 : Why pray for the poor souls ?
Chapter 5 : How can we help the Holy Souls ?
Chapter 6 : What the Holy Souls do for those who help them
Appendix : The Brown Scapular
Aug 18th 2014 new

St Bridgets Prayer for Holy Souls

Prayer Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release 1000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said:

Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release 1000 souls from purgatory each time it is said.

'Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family- Amen'.

(Approval and Recommendation by Cardinal Pahiarca, Lisbon, Portugal, March 4, 1936)
Aug 18th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said:

St Bridgets Prayer for Holy Souls

Prayer Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release 1000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said:

Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release 1000 souls from purgatory each time it is said.

'Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family- Amen'.

(Approval and Recommendation by Cardinal Pahiarca, Lisbon, Portugal, March 4, 1936)
Praying theheart Praying 'Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family- Amen'.
Aug 18th 2014 new
Another example: Amelia, a friend of the children at Fatima, who died at age 18-20, if I recall correctly. When asked about her soul, the Blessed Virgin replied that she would be in Purgatory until the end of time. How much more are those who live in the world today likely to have sinned than a young girl living in a small village in Portugal in 1917?

It is important to understand that when our sins are forgiven in Confession we must still make satisfaction for them, if not in this world, then in Purgatory. The booklet discusses this, and the examples are very sobering.

Aug 18th 2014 new
23 views in 42 minutes.It goes to show you that Priests can get lots of traction with Sermons about said topics! People want to know.Sermons on Hell likewise.Yet,many of the clergy shy away from this .They must think it too negative.
Aug 18th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: APPROVAL OF HIS EMINENCE THE CARDINAL PATRIARCH OF LISBON

Cardinal's Palace, Lisbon March 4, 1936

We approve and recommend with all our heart the beautiful little book Read Me or Rue It by E. D. M. [These initials used by Fr. O'Sullivan stand for Engant de Marie, that is, "Child of Mary" Ed.]

Although small, it is destined to do great good among Catholics, many of whom are incredibly ignorant of the great doctrine of Purgatory. As a consequence, they do little or nothing to avoid it themselves and little to help the Poor Souls who are suffering there so intensely, waiting for the Masses and prayers which should be offered for them.

It is our earnest desire that every Catholic should read this little book and spread it about as widely as possible.

Chapter 1 : What is Purgatory ?
Chapter 2 : Can all this be true ?
Chapter 3 : How long do souls remain in Purgatory ?
Chapter 4 : Why pray for the poor souls ?
Chapter 5 : How can we help the Holy Souls ?
Chapter 6 : What the Holy Souls do for those who help them
Appendix : The Brown Scapular
An interesting subject to discuss, Bernard.

The problem with the question that is the title of this thread is that it is problematic.

Upon death, one enters the realm of eternity where there is no time. Everything, past, present and future as we understand those terms do not exist. They are and will always be now.

So, as in the story about the friend of the Fatima children, the statement attributed to our Lady is only true when placed in the context of what we know and understand measured in time. But in eternity, the end of the world is now as there is no past, present or future.

So the only proper answer is that souls will be in Purgatory as long as it takes to purify the soul so that it may enter into the presence of God. Measured by what we understand as the passage of time has no meaning in the eternal realm.

A mystery to be contemplated for which there is no answer.
Aug 18th 2014 new
Yes it is a Mystery.I remember reading the story of a young Friar that was part of Padre Pio's Community.He appeared to Padre Pio after being dead four days (in Purgatory).When Padre Pio had told him he had been dead four days,the young Friar said it felt as if he had been in Purgatory Four Thousand Years! As you correctly stated ,there is no time,but apparently,some sense or lingering memory of time is still in the soul.We are there until God say's we are purged.
Aug 18th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Yes it is a Mystery.I remember reading the story of a young Friar that was part of Padre Pio's Community.He appeared to Padre Pio after being dead four days (in Purgatory).When Padre Pio had told him he had been dead four days,the young Friar said it felt as if he had been in Purgatory Four Thousand Years! As you correctly stated ,there is no time,but apparently,some sense or lingering memory of time is still in the soul.We are there until God say's we are purged.
I vaguely remember my friend Mary telling me, years ago, about a Saint -- who either in a vision or after her death and appearing to someone else had said she would be in Purgatory for something like 789 years. I can remember at the time and after reading the story Jerry posted about the children of Fatima's friend, that such information was less than hopeful for those of us confined to the temporal world with an understanding of human time. I had not considered it from the perspective of being a place outside of time and earthly place, which of course is appropriate.

It is a mystery and it is one that I have always thought provides hope for us less than perfect humans. I think purgatory is a beautiful gift to us, just as Confession is a beautiful gift to us.
Aug 18th 2014 new
Praying Thanks as usual Bernard,for the Holy reminder! theheart Dove
Aug 18th 2014 new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: I vaguely remember my friend Mary telling me, years ago, about a Saint -- who either in a vision or after her death and appearing to someone else had said she would be in Purgatory for something like 789 years. I can remember at the time and after reading the story Jerry posted about the children of Fatima's friend, that such information was less than hopeful for those of us confined to the temporal world with an understanding of human time. I had not considered it from the perspective of being a place outside of time and earthly place, which of course is appropriate.

It is a mystery and it is one that I have always thought provides hope for us less than perfect humans. I think purgatory is a beautiful gift to us, just as Confession is a beautiful gift to us.
It is a beautiful gift,but it is a terrible trial.I have read,it's not a fun place to be! flamed flamed flamed flamed flamed flamed flamed tombstone
Posts 1 - 10 of 11