Lent is a time for extra prayer and penance, meditation on the sufferings of Christ, and longing for the joys and glory of the resurrection.
Being single and seeking a spouse with whom to find fulfillment in my life is also a penance and something that motivates me to pray more. It is a cross to accept and even embrace, not just the celibacy required of me, but above all, the intimate friendship and companionship that a wife would bring, which I now lack.
Although Christ was never without his Father in heaven, He chose to experience in his human nature the desolation and spiritual agony of being abandoned by the Father while he was on the cross.
Like Jesus, I am sometimes tempted to say, “My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Why have you left me alone when I feel a great longing for a good wife?”
But then my faith tells me that, indeed, God is always with me, that I should trust that He knows what is best for me, that this small Lenten sacrifice of living a single life, at least for the time allotted for me in God’s plan, is good for me. It purifies me spiritually and inspires me to pray more and trust more in divine providence.
I pray that God may grant me the grace to always embrace his holy will as Christ and Our Lady did and to trust that my Lenten penance of single life will be followed by Easter joy with that one special woman they have chosen especially for me.
Reflection question: How can you embrace God’s will today?
Read other reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 –Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’