Being single in embracing Lent 2011 means a tremendous blessing to repent, rejoice, recommit and renew one’s life and spirituality.
I believe God spares me and gives me time to welcome wholeheartedly whichever future partner He’s preparing for me.
For 12 years I was engaged to a non-believer. I kept my faith and prayers that somehow, someday, he would be able to see God’s grace, compassion and blessings through me and our relationship. It ended recently, due to his refusal to receive the sacrament of matrimony, after we had decided to get married. It was totally the opposite of my principle.
So here I am, becoming single again.
It is my first Lent single after more than a decade of engagement. Amazingly, I feel saved.
Surely, I feel that something is missing in my life. However, Lent has invited me to reflect on the meaning of being a Catholic. Not only in status and prayer but as something consistently held in my heart.
I wouldn’t exchange what I believe for anything. Lent gives me strength to move on, forgive and keep the faith, hoping that God will eventually send me a true partner – not only in life but also in faith.
This Lent I lift up my gratitude to the Lord, who has preserved, protected, and guarded me. In His salvation, I shall be reborn – and so I surrender.
I let Him use my heart, my soul, my everything to spread His love and grace.
Thank You, Father. Thy will be done.
Reflection question: What is your prayer of gratitude?
Read other reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 –Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’