It is all too easy to find myself asking, even pleading with God: “Why am I still single?”
It was not long ago, I would kneel in church before and after Mass, begging God to let me get married soon, so much so that the majority of my prayer life centered on the topic of my singleness.
After some less than perfect dates and some perfect-on-paper relationships, I started to withdraw from the dating scene. It was then that I was able to hear what God was telling me and grow closer to Him.
I look at Lent less as of a time to dwell on singleness and more of time to reflect on Christ’s pure love for His people.
It is so easy to get caught up in the “why me” feelings of being single, but why not spend this Lent growing closer to God and renewing your faith? Why not spend your time praying for your future spouse and children? Remember, putting yourself first is likened to worshiping false prophets or idols.
I attended a wedding right before Lent and the priest said that in order to find true joy, you need to take the letters of “joy” apart and check your priorities: If your priorities are Jesus, Others, and then You, you’re on a good path!
May this Lenten season bring you the time to reflect on Jesus’ selfless love and the peace to know that if you have a strong calling, God will provide.
I close with one of my favorite Bible verses, John 15:7:
“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.”
Reflection question: How can you grow closer to God?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 23 – Dan-139782:’I’m Rolling With The Dating Disappointments’
- Day 22 – Judith-575655: ‘Dating Seems Like Its Own Form Of Penance’
- Day 21 – Jaime-361203: ‘I Want To Seek First The Kingdom Of God’
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 – Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’