We find ourselves on CatholicMatch.com because our lives are guided by our faith and because we remain hopeful that we will be able to find earthly love with someone who shares that faith.
In my search for a life partner, I have spent hours wondering about the signals given during a date, trying to interpret the real meaning of seemingly innocuous behavior (including the most vexing of all: when “I’ll call you” really means “Have a nice life”).
Surely there are times when dating can seem like its own form of penance.
After going on a first date, I often reflect upon what the fellow might have thought of me. Did he find me attractive, intelligent and witty enough? Did he think I was interesting? Did I laugh enough at his jokes? Did I react to his life story with sufficient fascination? (“Wow, I’ve never met anyone who collects snails.”).
And yet, the reflective season of Lent has shifted my thinking. I left Mass yesterday wondering not how men might view me, but how God views me. Does He see me as someone who is always asking Him for something or as someone who is thanking Him for what I have? Does He view me as someone who gives actual time to those in need or who just writes a check because it’s easier? Does He see in me someone living according to the tenets of my faith?
Lent is a time to reflect upon my life and to refocus on being the best person that God intended me to be.
And to cast aside the worry of what that snail-collector thinks about me…at least for 40 days.
Reflection question: What worry should you cast aside this Lent?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 21 – Jaime-361203: ‘I Want To Seek First The Kingdom Of God’
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 – Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’