This Lent, along with giving up the usual sweets and spending more time in prayer, I decided to do something a little different. I wanted to spend more time in gratitude for all the wonderful things God has given me.
As a pastoral minister, I am blessed to have many wonderful parishioners who inspire me daily. This past year, I was struck by how many couples in my parish celebrated 40 or 50 years of marriage. I realized how blessed I am to have such wonderful examples of couples living out the sacrament of marriage in my midst.
This Lent, I decided to take a couple from my parish each day and to pray for them and their intentions, while also thanking God for the wonderful example and inspiration they give me as a single person. They show me what it truly means to live out their sacramental vows. They help me realize what I strive for one day in my own life.
There are so many couples who have blessed my life. From the young couple with small children, who make it a priority to come to Mass weekly, to the couple relying on each other while facing the uncertainty of illness, to the couple who has been married for 72 years. They continue to inspire me.
I pray that this Lent my eyes will be opened a bit more not only to the ways I can grow closer to God but to the many ways God is working through his people – and specifically through the couples surrounding me who serve God, their families and each other every day. What a great lesson to learn and be reminded of this Lent.
Reflection question: How is God working through the people in your life?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 32 – Maria-414558: ‘It’s A Yearly Checkpoint’
- Day 31 – Ray-566531: ‘Now I Feel No Sense Of Urgency’
- Day 30 – Paula-176068: ‘Maybe We can Still Put God First’
- Day 29 – Nancy-550313: ‘I Need Lots Of Prayer & Encouragement’
- Day 28 – Steven-408478: ‘The Depths Of My Sins Were Forgiven’
- Day 27 – Nathalie-529528: ‘For Once I See Single Life As A Blessing’
- Day 26 – Craig-88457: ‘One Of Those Moments That Lasts Lifetime’
- Day 25 – Angela-394784: ‘Keep Doing What You’re Doing’
- Day 24 – Elizabeth-521570: ‘Pleading With God: Why Am I Still Single?’
- Day 23 – Dan-139782: ‘I’m Rolling With The Dating Disappointments’
- Day 22 – Judith-575655: ‘Dating Seems Like Its Own Form Of Penance’
- Day 21 – Jaime-361203: ‘I Want To Seek First The Kingdom Of God’
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I Want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 – Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’