The Lenten season is the most profound one in my life. This is when God’s love is almost tangible for me.
Just last week, I was reading my diary entry from 2005. I was doing great; I had a great paying job, my own place, and close friends around me.
Strangely, these days those entries sound different. I wasn’t very happy at work, and God was just something in between social engagements. I practically became involved in the parish so I could see friends. I was missing the point.
Today, without a significant job, I am blessed by what I have. With fewer friends but more family, I am enriched daily by God’s teachings. I spend time adoring Him in the Blessed Sacrament after daily Mass.
People who knew me before might think that my life had turned for the worst, but my love for God has doubled numerously compared with those “happy days” in the past.
So….has my life gone kaput?
Admittedly, I might not do all these things when working, and I’d be more likely to put God second or third in my life. Should we wait for adversity to strike to adore God?
In between our many commitments and to-dos, maybe we can still put God first, to feel His unfathomable love for us.
This Lent, I am realizing how much I need God within me. Each time I receive the Eucharist, I carry Him inside me. I try to let His love shine through. I put it into practice every day, though I fail more than not. Still, there is God’s grace, which compels me to keep trying and to love Him even more and more.
Reflection question: How can you put God first today?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 29 – Nancy-550313: ‘I Need Lots Of Prayer & Encouragement’
- Day 28 – Steven-408478: ‘The Depths Of My Sins Were Forgiven’
- Day 27 – Nathalie-529528: ‘For Once I See Single Life As A Blessing’
- Day 26 – Craig-88457: ‘One Of Those Moments That Lasts Lifetime’
- Day 25 – Angela-394784: ‘Keep Doing What You’re Doing’
- Day 24 – Elizabeth-521570: ‘Pleading With God: Why Am I Still Single?’
- Day 23 – Dan-139782: ‘I’m Rolling With The Dating Disappointments’
- Day 22 – Judith-575655: ‘Dating Seems Like Its Own Form Of Penance’
- Day 21 – Jaime-361203: ‘I Want To Seek First The Kingdom Of God’
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I Want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 – Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’