Lent is the penitential period that guided my return to our Father’s House.
I had abandoned my Catholic faith for 33 years. Like the prodigal son, I was feeding on the husk the pigs ate. Darkness surrounded me while buried in the crypt of sin. The cleaves of humiliation cut deep into my heart.
Faith is the answer He sent while I grappled with a plank of conversion and repentance. The Lenten season of 2004 introduced my second plank, reconciliation and penance, rescuing me from the darkest depths of transgression.
But pride and ego made it difficult to ask for forgiveness. How could I have let this go on for so long?
I was lost stumbling on a path potholed with alcohol, lust and self-gratification. The squall on the horizon exploded and the storm in my soul sank me. I was shipwrecked, holding to a plank floating in the open sea.
I believe Mary the Blessed Virgin and St. Paul were by my side as I floated aimlessly on this destitute board.
Clinging to my piece of wood, Mary clutched me from the storm.
“Do as He tell you,” she said, leading me to her Son.
His Mercy is unfathomable, and the depths of my sins were forgiven. Light overcame darkness, my sins were forgiven, and grace restored.
Lent is a time of reflection on our storms and penance is our port. The sacrament of reconciliation restored God’s grace in me. I became intimate with Him and sat at His table feasting at the banquet of the Holy Eucharist with our community, the Church.
I offer my Lenten journey of sacrifice for our pope, bishops, priests, sisters, lay missioners and the lost souls of poor sinners.
I am so grateful to have made the journey back home.
Reflection question: What sins must I confess?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 27 – Nathalie-529528: ‘For Once I See Single Life As A Blessing’
- Day 26 – Craig-88457: ‘One Of Those Moments That Lasts Lifetime’
- Day 25 – Angela-394784: ‘Keep Doing What You’re Doing’
- Day 24 – Elizabeth-521570: ‘Pleading With God: Why Am I Still Single?’
- Day 23 – Dan-139782: ‘I’m Rolling With The Dating Disappointments’
- Day 22 – Judith-575655: ‘Dating Seems Like Its Own Form Of Penance’
- Day 21 – Jaime-361203: ‘I Want To Seek First The Kingdom Of God’
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I Want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 – Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’