Why does the one person I’m interested in not seem interested in me?
I meet women who are attractive, or fun, or interesting, or devout, but why can’t I meet someone who’s all-in-one?
I feel like my vocation is marriage, and I see so many people around me in good relationships or marriages.
Is there something wrong with me?
I’m getting older. Am I going find someone at all?
These are questions I’ve asked myself many times as a single person. I’ve felt frustrated, lonely, even a tad hopeless at times.
When I had my conversion about six years ago, placing my trust in God was the hardest but most important thing I did. By surrendering all of my anxieties, questions, and fears to Him and trusting Him to work out the details, I’ve experienced a deep peace in my life (and in hindsight, He’s taken pretty good care of me as well).
But I recently came to the realization that I haven’t been trusting Him in the dating area of my life. I have doubted that He’d really come through for me, that He’d answer my prayers, that He’d lead me (and another special someone) in right direction, and that He’d bring the healing that I need in my life – all of this in order to begin living my vocation, which I believe is marriage.
So how to surrender?
A couple of Lents ago, I was vacuuming my bedroom and was struck by this thought: Jesus was on the cross, bleeding to death, and He cried out, “My God, My God, why have you abandoned me?” It was very real and very dark. “God, where are you?”
But in His darkest moment, when He could not sense His Father, He still said, “Into your hands I commend my spirit.” Wasn’t this the most beautiful act of faith?
Despite the worst pain and feeling of loneliness, He still stepped out.
If somehow I can unite my own questions, doubts, fears, uncertainties, to the ones He experienced – and then, in faith, echo His words of surrender – then I can bring this area of my life under His submission.
When I do that, I believe I’ll be able to receive the blessings He wants to give me. I don’t know exactly what that will entail, but I want to say yes and I believe He is good.
Reflection question: Have you committed your dating life to God?
Read more Lenten reflections written by CatholicMatch members:
- Day 33 – Lisa-2533: ‘I Want To Spend More Time In Gratitude’
- Day 32 – Maria-414558: ‘It’s A Yearly Checkpoint’
- Day 31 – Ray-566531: ‘Now I Feel No Sense Of Urgency’
- Day 30 – Paula-176068: ‘Maybe We can Still Put God First’
- Day 29 – Nancy-550313: ‘I Need Lots Of Prayer & Encouragement’
- Day 28 – Steven-408478: ‘The Depths Of My Sins Were Forgiven’
- Day 27 – Nathalie-529528: ‘For Once I See Single Life As A Blessing’
- Day 26 – Craig-88457: ‘One Of Those Moments That Lasts Lifetime’
- Day 25 – Angela-394784: ‘Keep Doing What You’re Doing’
- Day 24 – Elizabeth-521570: ‘Pleading With God: Why Am I Still Single?’
- Day 23 – Dan-139782: ‘I’m Rolling With The Dating Disappointments’
- Day 22 – Judith-575655: ‘Dating Seems Like Its Own Form Of Penance’
- Day 21 – Jaime-361203: ‘I Want To Seek First The Kingdom Of God’
- Day 20 – Diane-173836: ‘Single Life Is Not A Barren Spiritual Desert’
- Day 19 – Michelle-629774: ‘Let Us Fast From Comparisons’
- Day 18 – Darrell-622889: ‘Single Life, Followed By Easter Joy’
- Day 17 – Rosalia-544329: ‘Amazingly, I Feel Saved’
- Day 16 – Sherry-118409: ‘My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?’
- Day 15 – Matthew-695017: ‘Lent Is Not A Dark & Gloomy Time’
- Day 14 – Dawn-58330: ‘I Want To Have Faith Like A Child’
- Day 13 – Dan-595920: ‘I Always Find Excuses’
- Day 12 – Annette-639693: ‘In The Quiet I Hear God’s Voice Clearly’
- Day 11 – Ron-40989: ‘Remember We Are Purifying Our Love’
- Day 10 – Linda-504414: ‘God Might Be Trying To Teach Us Something Vital’
- Day 9 – Andy-246798: ‘I’m Happy To Take A Break From Dating Women’
- Day 8 – Marci-365801: ‘I’m Worried I Have Drifted Off Course’
- Day 7 – Tina-401203: ‘Waiting For Our Lives To Begin’
- Day 6 – Erik-215414: ‘No One Said This Was Going To Be Easy’
- Day 5 – Cate-291547: ‘I Felt Stuck In A Second Adolescence’
- Day 4 – Ryan-672439: ‘God Loves A Good Comeback’
- Day 3 – Theresa-630252: ‘I Think Of This As Preparation Time’
- Day 2 – Barb-505508: ‘We Have To Read Between The Lines’
- Day 1 – Richard-632838: ‘I Recognize How Much I Need God’s Grace’