For single Catholics, it is important to be able to search an online dating site for people who have similar interests and values.
The snapshot of a profile and a few email exchanges or phone calls not only eliminates first date worries, but can be a valuable indicator of how successful and enjoyable a first date might be.
An online profile is the other members’ first glimpse into your lifestyle and personality. So it is important to describe your interests and best qualities so they can get to know the real you.
Here are a few quick tips to improve your profile and make sure your true personality shines:
1. Be thoughtful and thorough. Make sure you fill out everything, even if the section is optional. A full profile shows that you put effort into it, and it gives your potential mate more information about you.
2. Make the first sentence count. You don’t want your profile to sound like everyone else’s — so be sure it doesn’t. If the information you are including is obvious by your photo or general stats (age, race, location, or gender), eliminate it. If it isn’t in descriptive and concrete language, revise it.
3. Be yourself. When writing about yourself, be specific, honest, enticing, and optimistic. Tell the other singles who you are and what matters to you in life. The more authentic you can be in your profile, the more likely you are to converse with other genuine members.
4. Proofread, proofread, proofread. Ask a trusted friend to read through your profile to make sure there are no typos or grammatical errors.
5. Be clear about who you are seeking. If you decide to include a seeking description, lay out a clear portrait of what you are looking for, but don’t be too restrictive or sound like you are looking for a perfect person — just the perfect person for you. Some examples could include: easy going, humorous, active, patient, encouraging, and commitment to the faith. Again, make sure it’s not a checklist, but a summary of guiding principles.
If you have not done so already make sure to get a copy of our Dating Guide For Single Catholics. In this free e-book you will find an introduction to online dating, tips to improve your profile, best practices for communication and additional resources to help you navigate the world of online dating.