Love can overcome obstacles


Our story begins April 2006.  In the beginning we had many obstacles in the
way.  For starters, he was 31 and I was 21, so neither one of us were sure about
the age difference.  On top of that, he lived in Indiana and I lived in
Missouri.  I don't think either one of us started communication with the thought
that it would turn into something, but that thought changed very

We began our relationship through emotigrams and chatting.  I
remember receiving hugs and flowers through emotigrams with an occasional wink
or kiss.  I found myself checking the computer 10-15 times a day to see if he
was online or if he had sent me anything.  I was giddy and didn't want it to

Then came the first phone call.  I was so nervous when I heard his
voice on the other end; yet at the same time I was at ease.  I felt like I had
known him forever.  We talked about everything that night.  From our childhood
to our family to how many children we wanted to our spirituality.  Our
conversation lasted 6 hrs; when we finally got off the phone our batteries were
beginning to die and he needed to get ready for work.  From the moment we hung
up I couldn't wait to hear his voice again.  Since then, not one day has gone by
that we haven't spoken to each other.

A few short weeks later we finally
started making plans to meet in person.  In June he was able to travel to
Missouri.  I remember that day like it was yesterday.  As I was driving to the
hotel I was nervous all over again.  We had made such a connection over
the phone and I was afraid that the connection wouldn't be there when we met in
person.  I drove up to his hotel and nervously dialed his number so he could
come outside and meet me.  I could tell he was nervous too; his voice was weak
and shaking a little.  As he was directing me as to where he was I scanned
my surroundings in hopes of seeing him.  As I was franticly looking for him when
I heard him gasp and then become silent.  Shortly after he said, "I see you".  I
looked up and he was standing on the balcony looking at me.  We both just stood
there for a moment, silent, still on the phone.  Then he started quickly walking
down the stairs and across the pool area as he hung up.  He never said a word. 
He came to me, wrapped me in his arms and leaned down to kiss me.  I don't
remember a thing for those few seconds.  I couldn't hear a sound.  All I was
aware of was me and him, together.

We were inseparable after that.  We
didn't spend more than two weeks apart from each other and we talked everyday
until he moved to Missouri in August 2006.  Everything moved so fast, yet I felt
like I had been with him my whole life.  Everyday made me fall in love with him
more and more. 

On September 8, 2006 Clint came and picked me up for a
date.  He had told me to dress up, but I had no idea what our plans were for
that night.  We had already discussed marriage, but I never dreamed he had
already bought a ring would propose that soon.  After he picked me up he began
driving.  We drove and we drove AND WE DROVE.  I finally asked where we were
going because we seemed to be circling the same part of town.  He had just moved
here a month before and I knew he was lost!  Finally he turns into a
Presbataryian parking lot and tells me to step out of the car.  Well, since he
had been so nervous and wouldn't answer my questions about where we were going I
had a pretty good idea of what was about to happen.  I slowly got out of the car
and walked around to other side to meet up with him.  He took a deep breath and
then he slowly started to lower down on one knee. My eyes immediately started
filling with tears, which in turn caused him to tear up.  He had a whole speech
and everything, but to be honest, I have no idea what he said.  I can't remember
anything from the proposal other than will you be my wife.  Which is, of course,
was the most important line.  Am I right ladies?!  I quickly accepted with a
squeaky voice followed by me saying, "Get up!".  LOL I couldn't stand it.  I had
to hug and kiss him.  I was so happy. 

Our relationship had already been
through long distance, age difference, and him moving.  I didn't think we could
have much more that would test our relationship as much as the previous events. 
However, I was wrong.  Later that month I had to have surgery on one of my knees
to repair some damage from a previous injury…but this wasn't all.  Before my
knee surgery I started seeing some warning signs of an illness I've had since
birth.  Over the next couple of months Clint and I had to deal with me having
severe headaches, going to the doctor and being in and out of the Emergency
Room.  I was so scared he would become overwhelmed and not want to deal with my
illness for the rest of his life.  He was so good about asking my mom and my
doctor to explain my illness to him.  He wanted to learn, but I could see as
time went on he was getting more and more scared. 

In November I had my
first neurosurgery.  I was so relieved when I saw him walk through my hospital
room door.  All he did when he came in was kiss me and tell me he loved me. 
Then he just sat in the chair next to my bed and held my hand.  At that moment I
knew he wasn't going to leave.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of my
hospital stays.  In December that same year I had another surgery.  He again
stood by my side.  I was so thankful that God brought him into my life. 

next few months were hard as I tried to recover and plan our wedding, while he
worked nights and lived in another city.  We were together every chance we got,
but it never seemed to be enough.  August 4, 2007…the greatest day of our
lives.  I was in the library of the church with my mom, sister and bride's maids
getting ready for our wedding.  I was nervous.  I hadn't seen Clint since the
night before and I couldn't wait to see him again.  We all walked over to the
church so we could begin.  I watched one by one as the wedding party walked down
the aisle.  My dad and I were in the back having our last conversation as Daddy
and his little girl.  We heard my song start and we grabbed on to each other
tightly and gave each other a kiss.  We stepped into the doorway and I could see
Clint standing at the alter.  My dad squeezed my arm and asked, "Are you ready
baby?".  I squeezed back and we took our first step.  When we reached the alter
I looked at Clint and then my dad.  They both had tears running down their
faces.  My dad lifted my blusher to uncover my own tears.  He gave me a kiss and
a hug and gave my hand to Clint.  FINALLY!  We were getting married.  I was full
of so much happiness I couldn't hear or see a thing other than Clint.  The
wedding was a blur!  We took our vows and were pronounced husband and

We made it through so many obstacles because our love and faith is
strong.  Without God we would not be together today.  He is the reason that we
are able to share our love with one another.  

Keep God in your hearts
and you can make it through anything!  God Bless!

Clint and
~married since August 4, 2007~ 



  1. Genevieve-1055759 July 31, 2014 Reply

    Happy 7th coming up <3

  2. Laura-363808 May 25, 2009 Reply

    What a beautiful story. I'm happy for you both and God bless you both.

  3. Maria-304891 December 9, 2008 Reply

    Sweetest story I have ever read! It actually made me teary-eyed! Thank you for sharing this, Hannah! God bless you both! 🙂

  4. Adrianna-311638 July 7, 2008 Reply

    This is a great story, keeps me hoping 🙂

Post a comment